Did you mean: 

AutoCAD freezing when accessing file menu

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
jayb
6304 Views, 20 Replies

AutoCAD freezing when accessing file menu

I just installed AutoCAD 2010 on a new system.

Windows 7 SP1 - 64 Bit OS

AMD FX 4130 Quad Core Processor 2.81 GHz

8 GB of Ram

I have uninstalled McAfee Security As A Service and currently have no Virus Software.

The problem is when accessing the file menu, ie - clicking on open file icon, clicking on a file in recent, save or save as (even with a blank new file), it freezes up and says not responding.

I have tried all kinds of suggestions such as replacing the mfc80u.dll. Doing a repair install. Etc. I've upgraded the drivers for the video card. These seem to handle the problem for a short while but it keeps coming back.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jay

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
jayb
in reply to: jayb

Just uninstalled and did a fresh install. 

Still having same problem.

Message 3 of 21
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I just installed AutoCAD 2010 on a new system.

>> [...] Windows 7 SP1 - 64 Bit OS

Do you have also installed the servicepack for AutoCAD? Because the release of 2010 without SP was not built for WIn7.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 4 of 21
jayb
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Yes... it downloaded and installed with the installation.

Message 5 of 21
jayb

I am severely frustrated with AutoDesk Products at this point.

Have yet to resolve this issue and have to do everything with FILEDIA setting at 0. Very inconvenient.

Message 6 of 21
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I am severely frustrated with AutoDesk Products at this point.

I'm not sure that it's the fault of Autodesk as there are million licenses out that don't have that problem. But I also understand that these words mean nothing for you as for you it's not working. It seems to be a combination with any other setting or software on your system and that has to be the point to look for.

What happens if you press <ESC> after you started command _OPEN (with FILEDIA = 1)?

What happens if you disconnect your workstation from every type of network (so it has really no connection to any other workstation/server/internet?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 7 of 21
jayb

Thanks for your response Alfred. Just to clarify. Was hoping my statement would draw the attention of someone at Autodesk. I have been using AutoCAD since Version 12 on a DOS machine. Even survived the dreaded R13 Release with Release 14 nicknamed Release 13 Working. I love AutoCAD. Just Frustrated. Our company is small and can't afford the upgrade at this time.

Anyway. In response to your questions. With FILEDIA set to 1, invoking any file command that requires a file dialog box (Open, Save, Save As, Insert, etc) immediately freezes AutoCAD up. Escape or any other key will do nothing. Alt Tab to another program or tab and AutoCAD is no longer listed among the Alt Tab Open Files list. Have to use Task Manager Ctrl-Alt-Delete and end task.

I have tried unhooking the internet (I am not running on a network, this is a standalone station). Same thing.

I am sure it is some simple fix. However it seems to be ever illusive to me.

Thanks.

Message 8 of 21
dgorsman

When you uinstall, it can leave some registry entries behind.  This can include whats in your "most recently opened" list which is part of the File menu.  I suspect there is a file in there which is on a remote drive/thumb drive which no longer exists, and AutoCAD isn't necessarily locking up but attempting to locate that file (use Task Manager and/or Process Manager tools to look at processor and network activity).

You can try closing AutoCAD and manually deleting the list of previous files from the registry but that has its own risks.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 9 of 21
jayb
in reply to: dgorsman

Thanks for the response, but when I did the previous uninstall, I cleaned the registry entries as well deleting left behind folders, etc.

Message 10 of 21
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

if AutoCAD is in this frozen state ==> what does the taskmanager tell you about processes, which process is using now the power? (and when there is a process called like WsCommCntr...exe ==> kill this process, does AutoCAD then continue?)

Another trial: create a new icon for a link to start AutoCAD and add the option   /p XXX    behind the    ...\acad.exe

(details for startup-options: >>>click<<<)

When you use this icon to start AutoCAD it creates a new profile (after a warning message, that such a AutoCAD-profile does not exist) and starts with it. It would be interesting now if you can now open a file-select dialog.

Last but not least: if you have installed any plugins from Autodesk Exchange ... let us know that.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 11 of 21
jayb

/p xxx worked. Had to recustomize everything and reload and place all my custom toolbars, but a small price to pay for having my dialogue boxes back.

Thanks Alfred. Although I fear too much enthusiasm as I have had some things appear to work for a short period then it goes buggy again.

I am praying this is a final solution. Will keep you posted.

Message 12 of 21
dgorsman

Best way to say thanks around here is with Kudos and Mark as Solution 🙂

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 13 of 21
jayb

I did not mark as a solution to see if it would hold up.

However, after a couple of hours, I am back to square one. It is freezing again when accessing dialog boxes.

Just to note. I have disabled the Info Center and there are no Plugins.

Sigh

Message 14 of 21
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

how many files do you have in your filehistory? Do you have reached the default limit of 9?

If so start command _OPTIONS, goto tab "open and save" and turn those 2 options to 0 (just for trial). There are some threads out there that describe issues around the recent file list (amout of files of problems with erasing items from it).

2013-07-04 00-07-40.png

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 15 of 21
jayb

Thanks.

Already set to ) though.

Message 16 of 21
jayb

0 not )
Message 17 of 21
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

well, as the new initialization of the AutoCAD profile helped for a few days I would again do that, create a new profile.

Next find the position within the registry where the old and where the new AutoCAD profile settings are stored, could be:

HKCU\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R19.1\ACAD-D001:409\Profiles

(whereas the colored parts differ between AutoCAD versions and languages)

Export both contents (for each profile) to create REG-files. Open these REG-files with any editor like Notepad++ that can compare files and show the differences. That differences might point you to what creates the defect (hopefully).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 18 of 21
Anonymous

I have exactly the same issue with Autocad 2016. After i set the number of recently open files to 0 everything works fine. 

Message 19 of 21
ceethreedee.com
in reply to: Anonymous

Okay so recently open files to 0 works. After you restart autocad as well.

But then what? Is there an actual fix for this. Or do we jsut continue to live on. (I like my recently open files list)

Complete reinstall does not fix this. So it must be something windowsy that is causing the issue?

Civil 3D 2021 (Update 1), ACAD (SP1.3) MAP (HF0.4)
Infraworks 2021.1,
Win 10 -DELL Precision Notebook 7730

ceethreedee.com
Message 20 of 21
lanningak

This worked for me.  Used _Options to open options dialog box.  reduced recently used files to 0 and got rid of keeping full-path name.  Saved the file and exited.  when I opend it back up... things worked.

Sometimes my network attached storage drive isn't open and so that must confuse the dialog box.

dave lanning

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost