AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Contributor
mujeebshah
Message 1 of 4 (461 Views)

AutoCAD User, Project and Interface File Setup

461 Views, 3 Replies
05-06-2012 11:41 AM

Hello

I am a Microstation user. In Microstation, you setup the project, user and interface files for a particular project. The files have settings for where to look for pen tables/ctbs, project paths, fonts etc. Is there something like that in AutoCAD? I want to set up the files so I can distribute it to my team members so that everyone is pointing to a centralized location for file setup.

When I open AutoCAD, it goes back to the directory of the previously opened project. Is there a way I specify to go to a certain project?

Thanks

Mentor
BrentBurgess1980
Message 2 of 4 (435 Views)

Re: AutoCAD User, Project and Interface File Setup

05-06-2012 09:41 PM in reply to: mujeebshah

In options, there is a tab called files. Within that tab, there is a tree where you can point to certain directories for certain files.

The Support File Search Path is where AutoCAD looks for fonts or required files for operation.

AutoCAD will look through these directories in the order in which they are listed to find the required files,

Going down the list, there is the Printer Support File Path. Here is where you would point to the location of the pc3 files (Printer Configuration Search Path), the pmp files (Printer Description Search Path) and the ctb files (Plot Style Table Search Path).

Once you have the files all correct, click on the Profiles Tab and click Export. Now you can save these settings and send them on to those who need it.

HTH

Distinguished Contributor
eyde
Message 3 of 4 (425 Views)

05-07-2012 07:01 AM in reply to: mujeebshah

The best way to get what you need is to setup a template file.dwt. Have this set to open when AutoCAD starts. With the template file located on the network. You can have your plot styles, layers, dim styles, ect.

*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 4 of 4 (421 Views)

05-07-2012 08:19 AM in reply to: mujeebshah

Read up on profiles and workspaces, support file search paths, and the Options dialog, along with the /p and /w start-up switches.  This is also somewhat dependant on whether you are running AutoCAD, a vertical product based on AutoCAD, or AutoCAD with third-party applications.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube