AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

sajjad808
Message 1 of 6 (2,416 Views)

AutoCAD Subscription Renewal

2416 Views, 5 Replies
03-08-2011 11:22 PM

Hi There,

I'm not aware of the AutoCAD license renewal. I'll appreciate if someone can answer my question. I bought AutoCAD 2010 (Networked 12 users) last year and now it's subscription renewal is received for next 1 year. I'm not ready for the subscription renewal and I'm happy with what i have for the next 2-3 years. My question is that will my purchased license become illegal or just the non-renewal will enable me to access upgrades/updates etc.

Do I still have right to use maximum AutoCAD 2010 version which i purchased?

Thanks,

Sajjad

*Pro
nestly
Message 2 of 6 (2,412 Views)

Re: AutoCAD Subscription Renewal

03-09-2011 12:19 AM in reply to: sajjad808

A subscription does not affect your license, it only determines whether you're entitled to support and upgrades to the next version.  If you have a full license, it should never expire for your version.

About > Product Information

License.jpg

Distinguished Contributor
RKLindner
Message 3 of 6 (2,355 Views)

03-09-2011 09:58 AM in reply to: sajjad808

I would highly suggest contacting your dealer to discuss the pros and cons of letting your subscription lapse.  In all cases, you will not save any money by not having a subscription and in fact could cost you more money depending on how long you don't upgrade (again, ask your dealer).  Being on subscription also means you can budget the upgrade cost each year, have tech support available and get updates and subscription only features that you would not be able to obtain otherwise.

Richard

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 4 of 6 (2,346 Views)

03-09-2011 11:44 AM in reply to: RKLindner

Short Term cash-flow problems sometime outway long term future savings for many businesses: yes it is always cheaper to be on subscription, but when you don't have it, well, you just don't have it.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
*Expert Elite*
JGerth
Message 5 of 6 (2,347 Views)

03-09-2011 11:51 AM in reply to: sajjad808

the license should not expire, it's generally a permanent license.  what subscription pays for is support from the 'official' web site, which may or may not be better than what you find here.  It also let's you access some on-line training material from the subscription site, which may be useful.  Of course, there's other training material available which is arguably better.  The subscription cost also entitles you to the next upgrade -- IF-- the vendor releases it.  That upgrade may or may not present any improvements to your work process, or it may negatively impact your work process.  Since you can't see and evaluate it before hand, you're essentially paying up fron for something you may well never benefit from.  Or, benefit you immensely -- who knows if the next big thing will be exactly what you need?  not me....

If you don't upgrade with subscription, you may need to wait five years to purchase new to see any cost savings....  Autodesk seems to be taking a punitive approach to people who would rather see what they are buying than paying in advance for an unknown.  that would however, let you have 24 seats of AutoCAD -- since there's no real upgrade after that long, you just end up buying new seats.

The big advantage to subscription, at leat in the US is the tax advantages.  Purchases of capital expenses like AutoCAD have to be depreciated over a period of years -- subscription costs impact the company's revenue immediately, and get taken off the income for that year just like a magazine subscription.  Secondary and very minor benefit is equalizing your upgrade costs.  Big disadvantage to all of us is the reduced quality of the upgrades that come out.  since we've already paid for it, there's little imperative to produce improvements that matter.

that may be part of the reason most subscription ends up as shelfware for a year or three.......

Reseller's will tell you that subscription is great, and it is, for them.  so keep that in mind when you talk to them.  but talk to your accountants also and see whether that capital vs expense impacts your organization in your jurisdiction.

YMMV

*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 6 of 6 (2,318 Views)

03-09-2011 02:28 PM in reply to: JGerth

There is another indirect benefit to getting the latest releases, and that is compatibility - both with file formats and third-party plug-ins.  Newer versions of AutoCAD may not include anything special but if you use any third-party software they may release new versions which won't run on your three-year-old version of AutoCAD.

Although it probably doesn't apply to the OP, given a 3+ year upgrade cycle the effect of other upgrades on any existing AutoCAD software should be considered as well e.g. Win XP to Win 7 (or Win 7 to Win neXtGEN), 32 bit to 64 bit.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube