AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

paullaroide
Message 11 of 22 (1,589 Views)

Re: AutoCAD 2010 unable to save drawing as it is being accessed by another sessi

10-08-2012 11:54 AM in reply to: rkmcswain

Thanks for the reply.

We are only 3 users using the server : no workload

When the problem occurs:

The server sees that the user accesss to the dwl and dwl2 files

The server is still seeing the user with read/write permissions on the dwg file.

I read the topic : http://www.cadeverything.com/help/showthread.php/1155-dwl-%28locking-files%29

I woulk like to know if I had the same problem :

how to detect this? (how to log this on the server)

how to correct this? (settings on the server? workstation?)

I have the admin rights on this server.

Thanks for your kindness.

Employee
alison.gangler
Message 12 of 22 (1,584 Views)

Re: AutoCAD 2010 unable to save drawing as it is being accessed by another sessi

10-08-2012 12:41 PM in reply to: paullaroide

Hi,

What is the version of the Network License Manager used on the server?

Thanks,

Alison

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Alison Gangler
IPG - ICP Install Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.

*Expert Elite*
rkmcswain
Message 13 of 22 (1,581 Views)

10-08-2012 01:29 PM in reply to: paullaroide

paullaroide wrote:

The server sees that the user accesss to the dwl and dwl2 files

Don't worry about those two file types, they have no bearing on this issue.

Valued Mentor
DuncanBrannan82
Message 14 of 22 (1,576 Views)

10-08-2012 02:40 PM in reply to: rkmcswain

Ok, i have a little more information regarding the issue.

We have been getting Event Logs for the server now for over a month related to the Anti Virus running on there.

IT did there thing and and removed the errors which were reporting every 30 seconds. Since they removed the logs and resolved the Anti Virus issue, the problem seems to have gone for the time being...

I have asked the users to report any issues regarding this asap so that we can check the Anti Virus again and see if the issue is related. If the logs are back then we may have identified the issue, however, if they arent then im back to square one.

I know in the past we have had issues like this with AV's but they can disappear at a click of a button and never come back, possibly related to updates or changes to AV usage.

Fo those having issues like this i suggest you speak to It to identify if the server is raising any issues through the AV, if it is then resolve these and see if the issue goes.

Fingers crossed, this has been fixed but im going to give it a month to see.

Regards,

Duncan Brannan

If my post was helpful to you, please could you give "Kudos" and/or mark the "Accept as Solution" button(s) below. Thanks in Advance!
Valued Mentor
DuncanBrannan82
Message 15 of 22 (1,446 Views)

11-12-2012 07:21 AM in reply to: DuncanBrannan82

Update!

Ok, i thought i would provide an update to this as it has been on going on now for over a month and we think we may have tracked it down...

Apparently when we switched the server in one of our offices, it highlighted an issue with the SMB Version 2 protocols. This had been highlighted in other regions, however, we installed some hotfixes related to file sharing.

To fix these we are now installing some hotfixes to our server which hopefully should remove the issues with file access when saving.

Once this has been put in place i will provide a further update to close this conversation, providing this is the fix :smileyhappy: Fingers crossed!

Below is a list of Hotfixes we are pushing out that appear to have resolved the issues in other regions.

■      KB2625434 - "ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION" error message in Windows XP or in Windows Server 2003 when you try to open a file on an SMB share on a server that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2

■      KB2618190 - You cannot access a shared file by using the SMB Version 2 protocol because of a race condition in Windows Server 2008 R2 or in Windows 7

■      KB2470949 - The RegQueryValueEx function returns a very large incorrect value for the "Avg. Disk sec/Transfer" performance counter in Windows Server 2008 R2 or in Windows 7

■      KB2547244 - The WMI service and the WMI providers stop responding when you use WMI performance classes to monitor performance on a computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2

Regards,

Duncan

Duncan Brannan

If my post was helpful to you, please could you give "Kudos" and/or mark the "Accept as Solution" button(s) below. Thanks in Advance!
mj.harris
Message 16 of 22 (1,300 Views)

01-10-2013 08:15 AM in reply to: DuncanBrannan82

We have the same exact problem at our office. New server w/ Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard. Actually we had the problem when we got the new server, about a year ago, and our IT guy said it had to do with the server "communicating" to fast for AutoCAD to keep up. He did something to it and it cleared it up for a while. Now it's doing it again. I tried your "FSMGMT.MSC" thing from my computer and, although I'm not allowed access the server, once I click on "open files", it seems to free up the drawing file. Also, if I just leave the file alone for 5 or 10 minutes, sometimes it relinquished and I can save it. So what does this mean? Has anyone found the fix for this? Thanks for any input you may have.

UPDATE:

First, I apologize for the confusion. I did not see DuncanBrannan82's response before I posted my question. I will try that soon. Also I would like to apologize because my problem's been w/ AutoCAD 2012 not 2010. However, after reading DuncanBrannan82's Update, I don't think it maters which version it is.

Secondly, I was wrong in my statement about the "FSMGMT.MSC" thing, it did happen to release my drawing even though I was denied access. I think it was like I said about waiting a few minutes and the file gets freed up.

So, I'll try DuncanBrannan82's hot fixes and try to let you know how things go. Thanks again, and sorry for the confusion. Mike

Valued Mentor
DuncanBrannan82
Message 17 of 22 (1,287 Views)

01-10-2013 02:42 PM in reply to: paullaroide

All,

I'm afraid to say that the hotfixes for Windows Server 2008 R2 as mentioned in my previous post and the hotfixes for Client machines associated with Windows Server 2008 R2 do not fix this problem, unfortunately we are still experiencing the problem in one of our offices.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Regards,

Duncan

Duncan Brannan

Contributor
gte959s
Message 18 of 22 (1,097 Views)

03-14-2013 07:54 PM in reply to: paullaroide

Any updates?  We have been having he exact same problem with 2012 Civil 3d.  It only happens when 2 or more users access files for teh same project that may be xref'd in some way.   We get TMP files and then it will save after 10-15 repeat attempts.  We have a boat load of TMP files to delete all the time.

Valued Mentor
DuncanBrannan82
Message 19 of 22 (1,091 Views)

03-15-2013 03:22 AM in reply to: gte959s

Hi,

I do actually have an update on this for those who are experiencing the issue. I must admit this is very frustrating to pin-point!

We have recently identied that this issue is not just applicable to Autodesk products... I can now confirm that we are experiencing the same issues with Microsoft Word, Excel, Autodesk Revit and Adobe PDF.

One thing we could never do was to get the issue to act on demand... however, after some testing we have identified a wierd abnomality or something which isnt quite right.

Basically, if 2 users are working in a project folder on the project server on CAD drawings, open them, zoom in and out and then try to save and close them, there are no issues. However, if a 3rd person in the team opens "Windows Explorer" in the same location that the drawings are being used before the users open the drawings, the issue will show. So basically the users open the drawings, zoom in and out save and then close the drawing. The dialog box shown about the file being accessed by another session is shown. Not sure why this is but we are trying to work with Microsoft to fix this.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know :smileyhappy:

Regards,

Duncan

Duncan Brannan

jsauler
Message 20 of 22 (839 Views)

06-21-2013 12:01 PM in reply to: DuncanBrannan82

I know this is an old discussion but this issue arose today for me and after a ton of searching on here with no results I finally figured out the problem we were having. And ours is with Civil 3D 2013. The files we were trying to access are located on a server.  We set up a new user and gave him the proper credientals.  This user was able to create and save a file without issues, but this error came to light if he opened a file that was previously created, edited it and then tried to save it.  I had added him to the power user group on the server, just like everyone else was.  So where was I going wrong?  Well I found that the group "Power Users" was not authorized under Securities Tab of the folder that was being shared, only the existing users were there.  So I added the "Power Users" group and gave it full access and low and behold my problem is solved.  I sure hope this helps any future individuals out there.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube