AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Distinguished Contributor
SeattleCADD
Message 1 of 6 (1,424 Views)

Assembly drawings for 3D parts

1424 Views, 5 Replies
10-05-2012 09:19 AM

Hello All,

I have built a 3D turbine that combined more than 50 3D parts. Now I want an assembly drawings to show our clients how to put those parts together. Do you know any autodesk software can help me with this? Some people recommended Inventor and I have never used it. Is this a right software to do some kinds like this project?

Thank you,

Dennis

*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 2 of 6 (1,419 Views)

Re: Assembly drawings for 3D parts

10-05-2012 09:53 AM in reply to: SeattleCADD

If you need this done in the next month, Inventor isn't the right choice for right now (but should be your long-term solution).  In AutoCAD you could probably hack this together with a combination of XREFs, viewports, clipping planes, and viewport layer overrides.  If you aren't limited to hard-copy drawings consider using Navisworks Simulate and Freedom, which can not only show the parts in context but allow the user to adjust the viewing angle, hide certain parts, make them transparent, and so on.  Simulate can also produce reasonable quality renderings and animation with a little work.

Overall for design, assembly, and automated drawing generation I think Inventor is the perfect solution for you provided you get the necessary training and allocate the necessary time for the learning curve.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 3 of 6 (1,400 Views)

10-07-2012 12:08 PM in reply to: SeattleCADD

The drawing creation environment in Inventor is trivially easy to learn and use.  You have already done the hard part.

Did you create each individual part in it's own file (like the real world) and assembly with xrefs in an assembly file?

In any case you would need to get the AutoCAD files into Inventor - File>Open with Options set to Import.

Then create idw (Inventor drawings) or dwg (Inventor dwg drawings).  If you have access to Inventor give it a shot on one part and post back if you have difficulty.

In the end - you might save all of this to *.dwf for the client.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Y0UNGBL00D
Message 4 of 6 (1,391 Views)

10-07-2012 01:03 PM in reply to: JDMather

once you get the models as part files in inventor, the drawing generation is AWESOME. the assemblies, so-so.  especially the physics.  but when you tweak everything just right, its a thing of beauty.   it really is the way to go in the long run. When you learn the drawing environment, have whoever is teaching you show some isometrics along the way.  It seems really weird to beginners who learn everything in strict front/right/top/etc. views.  it threw me at first but once i orbited a bit, it all clicked. 

Distinguished Contributor
SeattleCADD
Message 5 of 6 (1,347 Views)

10-10-2012 07:54 AM in reply to: SeattleCADD

Questions for All Expert in Inventor:

Can Inventor do animation? The video below is exactly what I am looking for as a final product before sending it to our client.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaLbEuAHLGI&feature=related

Thank you,

Dennis

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 6 of 6 (1,325 Views)

10-10-2012 05:17 PM in reply to: SeattleCADD

you post on an AutoCAD forum a link to an Inventor animation and ask if Inventor can do animations?

You would be better off posting to the Inventor Forum.

The answer is quite obviously yes.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube