Anchoring entities to each other

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
max.senft
498 Views, 5 Replies

Anchoring entities to each other

Hi everybody!

I am currently looking for a feature which Visio has since quite some time and which seems to be implemented in AutoCAD MEP: Anchors. You can connect/link individual objects to another object. So that - for example - moving the "base" object, all the objects that are connected to it will also move automatically.

I could not find anything similiar in "standard" AutoCAD 2010. I know that there are examples of .NET implementations for linking objects, but I'm looking for a standard functionality.

Are there any plans to integrate such a feature? Or is it already implemented in some way?

Thanks for any answer! 🙂

Regards

Max

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: max.senft

Hi,

>> I could not find anything similiar in "standard" AutoCAD 2010

Look for constraints >>>click<<<.

HTH, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 6
max.senft
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

*duh* ... now I feel kind of stupid. Smiley Embarassed I could have thought of that...

Thanks! 🙂

Max

Message 4 of 6
GrantsPirate

The Group command will also work well for what you describe.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 5 of 6
max.senft
in reply to: GrantsPirate

Hi,

hm, I know this command, but for me it's not working as expected. I just gave it a try once again. If I group - for example - two block references, I can still drag the objects individually and they do not maintain there position relative to each other... Of course, using the MOVE command and clicking one of both block references, the other will also move.

So, "geometric constraints" is the better feature and suits better in a mechanical sense. Anyway, a small problem still exists: If I have got a dynamic block and add a constraint between it and another block, I get told, that the grab points won't be visible anymore, but any dynamic property can be changed in the properties panel (or whatever it is called in the English version). Has this been "fixed" in newer AutoCAD versions?

Regards

Max

Message 6 of 6
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> Has this been "fixed" in newer AutoCAD versions?

No, it's same in 2015. You have to change the dynamic properties in the property window for dynamic blocks that have been connected to other geometry via constraints.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost