AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

39CentStamp
Message 1 of 4 (2,396 Views)

Add Text To a Line - How To ?

2396 Views, 3 Replies
12-23-2010 09:19 AM

With Visio i can easily add text to a line like the example below. How can i do this with AutoCAD?

At another forum the suggestion was to "Convert the line to block and make the text an attribute. The attribute will move with the block". I have been trying to figure out how to do this since last night with no luck.

Is there an easier way to accomplish the task? If not can someone walk me thru (or point me to ) the steps to make the line a block and make the text an attribute?

Thanks

drhaefne
Message 2 of 4 (2,379 Views)

Re: Add Text To a Line - How To ?

12-23-2010 11:01 AM in reply to: 39CentStamp

Go to the Insert menu and choose Field...

Choose the Comments field.  Attach the field to your line.  Select the field and replace the default characters with your text.

Invoke the Properties command and change the justification of the field to Middle Center.  Turn the Background Mask on and use the drawing background color as your fill.  Use the Insert osnap and move the field to the location of your choice on the line.

*Expert Elite*
ToanDN
Message 3 of 4 (2,361 Views)

12-23-2010 02:40 PM in reply to: drhaefne

Why create a field then make it become regular text?

*Expert Elite*
ToanDN
Message 4 of 4 (2,358 Views)

12-23-2010 02:55 PM in reply to: 39CentStamp

Use constrain command: GcCoincident

See attached sample.  Attribute block is another approach but from looking at your example you probably don't need it.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube