7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
zph
Collaborator
512 Views, 7 Replies

3d rendering help

See the attachment jpeg.

The background is showing through the model.  I would like to not show through.

Any help?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: zph

Hi,

how have you defined the background? As it is not behind the complete model I guess it's not really a background, it's something like a face sitting behind the model, isn't it?

And then are you sure that you see through the model ... instead of either the points/stars are something like a reflection or are projected like texture-mapping to the model? But without getting in touch with the drawing it's not more than guessing.

At least, if you look through something the first option in any case is to look to the transparency of the materials.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 8
zph
Collaborator
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Yes, the image is the background, but not stretched or tiled.  In the attachment it is stretched.

I am fairly certain that there is only one piece of the model that would have transparency and that would be the black front piece which has a the solid glass material applied to it.  The rest are 3d solids with metallic paint material applied to them.

I've attached the .dwg and the background image.

Message 4 of 8
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

it was my first guess? It's not transparent, what you see is a reflection as you used a metallic material, and so the background image does not "shine through" the object, the object shows the background reflected.

Look to that part, I just changed the outer parts of the wings to "Global" and you see no background on it.

2013-08-28 22-19-45.png

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 5 of 8
zph
Collaborator

Sorry, I didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable.  I appreciate you help!  Smiley Happy

Is there any way to reduce/eliminate the reflectivity of the metallic paint material? I poked around a bit, but didn't see any options.  I'd prefer to keep the material, but only remove the reflective property.

Is the reflectivity inherant to the metallic paint material?

Message 6 of 8
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> Is there any way to reduce/eliminate the reflectivity of the metallic paint material?

As long as the material type is based on metallic you have no chance to specify the reflectivity.

If you want to have control over the reflectivity you need to use another material-type.

I would render with black background and combine the images (background and rendering) in Paint.NET or similar software.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 7 of 8
dgorsman

^ +1 with Alfred.  Detailed render, then composite with background (and foreground if required).  Animated movies with "making of" features are a good source for general production tips like these.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 8 of 8
zph
Collaborator
in reply to: dgorsman

Thank you for your help, gentlemen.

Have a great day!

~Z

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost