AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Contributor
zelimir
Message 1 of 8 (5,063 Views)

3DCLIP

5063 Views, 7 Replies
02-17-2010 12:51 AM
3DCLIP Behavior in AutoCAD 2010

In AutoCAD 2007 it was possible, first select one object, then start command 3DCLIP, in the clipping window than we can see only selected object and adjust clipping planes etc...This is not possible in AutoCAD 2010 unfortunately. This tip was very useful if we have in model space very complicate and big group of 3D objects. If somebody know which system variable can switch this on again pleas post asp.

THANKS!

Zelimir
rachelrose00
Message 2 of 8 (5,062 Views)

Re: 3DCLIP

02-18-2010 02:44 AM in reply to: zelimir

I think you mean Dview (Dynamic View)
Enter Dview at the command prompt.
Autocad asks:
Select objects or <use DVIEWBLOCK>:

You want to select an object and hit enter. (Dview block is that old little house)
Then Autocad asks:
Enter option:
[CAmera/TArget/Distance/POints/PAn/Zoom/TWist/CLip/Hide/Off/Undo]:

You want CL
type CL hit enter
Then Autocad asks:
Enter clipping option [Back/Front/Off] <Off>:

So then enter B or F and enter
Then that slider appears on topof the screen and you can slide it to dynamically clip
and your object will appear and reappear.
Or you can type the clipping plane distance at prompt <it gives the current distance at prompt line>

Hope this is what you wanted
thanks for the question.
It did not occur to me to evoke old dview in conjunction with the 3d orbit viewing panoply-
This is probably what the old camera swivel and camera distance were - i just realized.
Please let me know if I am totally off
I just remembered a pic is worth a thousand words > attached. dview.png
byby r.

Contributor
zelimir
Message 3 of 8 (5,062 Views)

02-18-2010 06:05 AM in reply to: zelimir
Thank you Boby but I do not mean on DVIEW.
DVIEW is older AutoCAD command and all this what you explain is ok and it works but it is very slow for my purpose.
3DCLIP is newer command (or sophisticate DVIEW). It works perfect and it was very fast form AutoCAD2004 up to 2007 (2008 I do not test), but in 2009 and 2010 it dos not work like before. Autodesk change something and I can not find how to return this feature in previous state.
BrianKamerath4910
Message 4 of 8 (4,969 Views)

12-17-2010 01:51 PM in reply to: zelimir

Actually 3D Clip predates Dview and in some respects is more user friendly.

The Common problem comes from using an Application like CADWOrx to generate a complex 3D model of a processing facility. Dview requires a selection of elements and takes more time to setup than 3Dclip especially when you are looking at hundreds of pipes, pieces of equipment, concrete, etc as nested xrefs.

I am working for a small company generating a complex model which has approximately 60 pieces of equipment and I am up to about 350 line numbers. My plan's are different sheet layouts native to my piping model and the sections are in a completely different model. Given the adjustments I have been making I'm inclined to the position that this is a Video Card/AutoCAD interface problem. I was seeing my clipping planes just fine but was working very slow. I changed a number of Video Card settings in an attempt to speed up my work and lost the visualization of the clipping planes. Even with sections  I know where the planes reside- and I can adjust them- the visualization of the clipping plane is gone.

Given the time constrainsts and the changes to locations of equipment and piping DView, Viewboxes et all haven't been near as efficient as the 3D clip function. I'm using a Quadro FX 570 with up to date drivers and I didn't start having the visualzation problem until I start adjusting the Anisotrpic Filtering and Anti-aliasing settings within the NVidia Control Panel and AutoCAD 3D settings.

I'm in the process of restoring my settings in hopes of getting things back. For my project complexity and schedule constraints 3DClip is the more efficient tool- so long as I have it working properly- Dview et al fall short and are more cumbersome by comparison.

I am using AutoCAD 2010 with CADWorx Plant Pro 2010 to generate my 3D models and orthographics.  

BrianKamerath4910
Message 5 of 8 (4,967 Views)

12-17-2010 03:04 PM in reply to: zelimir

When 3D clipping planes disappear: deselect Wireframe display in Adapttive Degradation and Performance Tuning.

Options - System - 3D Performance Settings - Adaptive Degradation and Performance Tuning.

My biggest problem here is my front clipping plane is black - and my model space is black so the only way I can see it is to watch my viewport display and look for the dark pixels crossing colored elements as I adjust the clipping planes.

Active Contributor
hperison
Message 6 of 8 (4,555 Views)

06-22-2011 03:07 PM in reply to: BrianKamerath4910

Since the PC is a personal computer with personal settings, Autodesk should not force the user to work on a display background which is not their preference.   I personally prefer a black background and to have a black cutting plane is rediculous.   Anyways, I digress.     In order to get the purple and black clipping planes to show as green and white respectively, one must disable their hardware excceleration.

Options>System> Performance Settings>Manual Tune>     uncheck 'Enable hardware acceleration'

This should resolve your issue.     I don't know what impact this will have on ones performance, but give it a try.

Contributor
CAD_Ninja
Message 7 of 8 (4,177 Views)

02-22-2012 10:03 AM in reply to: hperison

My "Enable Hardware Acceleration" box was already unchecked and my lines are black and purple....

Any other suggestions?

Don't really need mine to be white and green, but was hoping to confirm your theory. I was more worried about my lines disappearing (had to guess where my lines were...). I ended up changing my Visual Style to Conceptual (then subsequently to Realistic) and retried and it worked fine... go figure. Maybe it has something to do with how it displays the lines... Nevertheless, it works, now.

isidrosarquis
Message 8 of 8 (2,784 Views)

12-27-2013 04:03 PM in reply to: zelimir

I think the best improve of 3Dclip is on layouts , the reason is because it changes separately each one, instead changing all simultaneously as "section plane" do it, what's the trouble you have using it?

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube