AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 11 of 26 (4,532 Views)

Re: 2012 and 2011 Performance Issues: Slow on common commands

07-27-2011 10:47 AM in reply to: phil-mcam

"... Plugging into a different network jack on the wall did the most for her..."

Now there is a unique fix I've never heard of before: faulty wiring back to the Server? Or a different Server?

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Distinguished Contributor
Message 12 of 26 (3,990 Views)

11-24-2011 06:17 PM in reply to: tombaumberger

tombaumberger wrote:

I'd bring that old XP machine from the house in and run 2005. That's the last decent version I've seen.

Dead right. Everything since has been a mess. I've recently been using 2012 on a 32-bit Windows 7 machine and it is total rubbish. Slow as a wet week on a new computer. The lag when switching between drawings is completely intolerable.

Contributor
Message 13 of 26 (3,950 Views)

11-28-2011 07:20 AM in reply to: Tony_R

As much as I curse Civil 3D I have to admit that since I put SP1 on my Windows 7 64bit machine, C3D 2012 runs much better. Still, the QC has been lacking since about 2005.

jasonfunkhouser4533
Message 14 of 26 (3,841 Views)

12-06-2011 02:53 PM in reply to: phil-mcam

In my office 2011 has been running fine on all our new Win7 x64 machines... until recently.  Now we all are having command slow downs, and it seems to tie to the properties dialog box. 

For Instance, when I clisk some text to edit it, when the properties dialog box is open and docked (which it has been since it was an option), the lines of info in the dialog box blink out one by one, line after line, and when it finishes the command runs (usually takes about 6 sec or so each time).  If I click on a line next, the same thing happens.  Funny thing is, if I click on another text right after the first text I edited, it will do it but much quicker.  I'm finding myself sitting here staring at my monitor longer than I am getting any work done!  AGH!

This problem is causing all types of issues in our office.  At first, when it started to do it, I could reboot my machine and it would not do it.  Now it does it non stop.  Whether I reboot or not, on the first command it runs through the properties dialog box!

Today I installed 2012 to see if it would still have this issue using the new version... well, it does.  I found that if I leave the properties dialog box closed, I can work much faster and the lag doesn't happen after the initial command is entered.  But when it's open, it does it constantly.

Is anyone having any of these same issues with performance?  PLEASE HELP!

Message 15 of 26 (3,670 Views)

01-05-2012 09:02 AM in reply to: jasonfunkhouser4533

Our office as well is having issues with 2012 and I'm suspecting the network installation.

Like others have experienced, the issues started when we upgraded our machines from XP to 64-bit Windows 7. All of the machines in question are fairly powerful, with Xeon processors, approved video cards with approved drivers, 8GB Ram or more, etc.

The issue is a lag that that appears fairly randomly when a command is entered. Some commands seem to be more likely to cause the lag (which can be up to 20-30 sec). In particular, Match, Plot, rectangle, text editing (mtext or dtext). Also when a command is mistyped, it can take ACAD 30 secs to figure out its an invalid command.

All machines in the office use shared network licences and we have Mechanical, Structural and vanilla versions of ACAD. All experience the same problems.

Like others we have tried turning off settings, turning on settings, tweaking this and that, to no avail. I've also installed the Process Monitor, but there doesn't seem to be a common process active when the lag occurs. These lag issues only appear with Autocad, not with any other software, including Revit which is installed on most of the same machines.

The main reason I'm thinking its the network, is that we do have some laptops in the office (some with vastly inferior specs) that are setup with the same routines, software etc, but have local licences and these have no troubles. Also, the nature of the lag seems very similar to the lag found when trying to access a network folder that is not available. (I've checked the support file search paths to ensure there are no invalid locations). Perhaps there's something in the registry?

It doesn't take a computer expert to start thinking that the issue lies squarely with the latest versions of Autocad when installed in a 64-bit Windows-7 network-based environment.

Sure would be nice to have some resolution to this issue.

Anyone have any luck? Fingers crossed.

Valued Contributor
phil-mcam
Message 16 of 26 (3,666 Views)

01-05-2012 09:15 AM in reply to: pendean

I agree 100% about the network + 64bit + Win7 connection. 

My customer reporting this is running network seats. She states that the problem went away "mostly" after a reconfiguration of their network. All they did was move some stuff around, including data and physically relocating their CAD machines. Unfortunately too many variables to say what helped.

I just wonder why there are only cricket sounds from Autodesk on this one.

BTW: I've heard of some problems with other programs moving to 64 bit. From the sound of it, Autodesk has done this relatively unscathed. So it could be worse, and also it's not just AutoCAD and 64 bit. This may take a couple years to unwind as the software world turns.

*Expert Elite*
JGerth
Message 17 of 26 (3,653 Views)

01-05-2012 12:51 PM in reply to: phil-mcam

The only reason to _not_ suggest 2005 & XP is the bare fact that there's no way to legally obtain additional seats of that version.  IMHO that version hit the sweet spot between performance and fetures.  Pity I can't run it anymore -----  Closest equivalent legitimately obtainable today would probably be Draftsight

Otherwise, the list of suggestions you do _not_ want are the collective experience of thousands of users and hundreds of managers here and on other fora.  Ignore 'em and be slower, or implement them and be faster.  customer's call.

press21
Message 18 of 26 (3,515 Views)

01-18-2012 07:54 PM in reply to: pendean

All of the same problems, and it is not the network for me.  Most of my cad and render work is at home, so i am not on the network, files are local.

Selecting, switching windows, dimensioning are all unbearable.  And this is with a new HP mobile workstation.  Win 7 / 64, 16GB Ram, nVidia quadro 5000 video with 2G video ram.  My old unit was XP, and quadro 1800 and ran circles around this EXCEPT in rendering.

This machine renders at least 3 times faster.  You can turns some things off to make it better, but it sure is hard to work without the properties window open.

Press

Message 19 of 26 (3,467 Views)

01-20-2012 02:44 PM in reply to: phil-mcam

I too am having the same issue and am using all standalone installations.  I do have my tool palette and other support files on a shared network drive.  ACAD slows and brings up the Windows 7 "blue spinning circle" on a lot of commands, even just when I pick on a grip and try and stretch it.  I have bought new machines with very high end processors, and nvidia quadro 2000 cards with 8 - 16GB of RAM.  Maybe nVidia is the issue???  This is horrible!!

Custom

i7-2600k (not overclocked)

corsair h60 cooler

asus p8p67 rev.3 motherboard

nvidia Quadro 2000

8GB RAM

500 GB sata III HD

ACAD 2012 64bit

Win 7 64bit

Valued Contributor
phil-mcam
Message 20 of 26 (3,459 Views)

01-20-2012 04:57 PM in reply to: phil-mcam

I think I have it!!!

What is common to all the complaints? or most of them....

New Machines.

These new machines have quad core processors that are hyperthreaded down to 1GHz.

I just opened ACAD and Task manager. Drew a circle, dimensioned it, and copied it about two dozen times. I could clearly see that ACAD was just about to MAX OUT only one of the "8" processors I'm running.

Time to get into my BIOS and turn off hyper threading. Try it and see if you get back some of that processing speed.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube