Running Revit Suite 2012 - ACAD 2012
on Core2Cuo@3.15GHz w/ 8GB
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700
XPx64 Pro SP2
Kindof an old machine, but wasn't a problem for 2011.
I installed 2012 last week and have been having more issues than I've encountered in a while. Primary issue is when I am changing between drawings open in the same session. It locks up for 15-40 seconds with no consistent duration. This also started happening when switching between sheets in the same drawing (an even bigger pain when trying to create pdfs for a deadline issue last night). I reinstalled to no avail. I checked the latest driver for my vcard and I am up to date (reassuring since my driver for 2011 wasn't certified by Autodesk).
The only thing different from this past weeks install compared to past years would be that I UNinstalled all previous versions after activating 2012. My coworker and I had been having issues with drawings opening in the latest version so I decided to eliminate the issue and free up HDD space. I left previous versions of Revit installed due to lack of backwards compatibility for some projects.
I use DrawingTabsManager from CAE-Link, but it is the old 2011 version. I suspected this as the cause, unloaded it, and the issue still occurs. (Honestly, I can't believe Autodesk hasn't included a function like this for switching back and forth between open drawings in the same session.)
I haven't run Revit 2012 enough yet to have noticed any issues.
Someone, please, help!
Now the problem occurs during common commands such as -undo and -align. Very frustrating and time consuming.
I finally understand the animosity toward Autodesk now. $150 to figure out what the problem is with their software on my machine. What a joke.
What was the solution?
FYI, if you are on subscription you can get support for free. It is not as fast as phone support but they usually get back to you the same day.
Civil 3D 2012 SP3 | Win 7 64-bit SP1
Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.60GHz, 16GB Ram | NVidia Quadro 600
I was frustrated. I had forgotten about subscription support. They recognize the issue and have sent me a list of things to try. Due to time constraints, I was only able to try a few of the things, but they haven't worked yet. I'm hoping that later this morning, I'll have a chance to try the rest.
Have you had any luck fixing this issue? I am in the same boat here.
Manager of Shop Operations
3DX Scenic Studio
Sort of... My subscription support rep has been very attentive, giving my lots of things to try. No direct solution has been found, but the "issue" is currently in remission. Most recent changes before this occurred:
I reverted everything back to default in 2012. I had been migrating settings for so many versions that it may have had an affect. I started from scratch.
It still happened occasionaly so I reinstalled 2011. I needed to keep working efficiently (and I'd work on solving the issue later) to meet deadlines.
I only had to use 2011 twice and 2012 started behaving and has for over a week now. 2011 must have shamed it into working. Ha Ha.