AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009

Distinguished Contributor
Message 11 of 18 (299 Views)

Re: dwl files

05-31-2007 04:23 PM in reply to: tony
I think this has also been the case in the past with the single dwl file and it's removed when AutoCAD is closed.

Regards - Nathan
Message 12 of 18 (299 Views)

05-31-2007 09:56 PM in reply to: tony
Yes, even after saveas, the dwl's remain but still register to the AutoCAD application. So I'm unable to manually delete them. When AutoCad is closed, then those dwl file are gone.

However, if say a Lisp customization were ever required to check for those dwl files and read them, they would mistakenly report that someone was in the matching drawing. In the saveas case, I would call that a bug.
Message 13 of 18 (299 Views)

06-04-2007 05:25 AM in reply to: tony
It took me longer than anticipated, but, this is from Subscription Support:

The DWL files are no longer lock files, but log files.

The first (x-x-x.dwl) is a text log generated by the dwg file. The other (x-x-x.dwl2) is the xml file created by the "whohas.arx" application.

Both of these are required, and will be removed when the file is closed.

Jerry
Message 14 of 18 (299 Views)

06-07-2007 07:10 AM in reply to: tony
I am finding that these .dwl and .dwl2 files are not always closed when closing the drawing.

Any suggestions
Message 15 of 18 (299 Views)

08-14-2007 06:32 AM in reply to: tony
Does any one know if there's anyway to configure the location of these log files? I don't particularly mind the automatically disappear not closing, but they mess with my versions manager software. If I could save the files somewhere else, the fact that they don't automatically disappear upon closing the main dwg file wouldn't be a problem. Thanks!
Message 16 of 18 (299 Views)

01-16-2008 08:05 AM in reply to: tony
It seems to me that the dwl files are created here where we work when people with read only access open the file with AutoCad, LT, or TrueView. That the dwl files are created and not deleted. I myself opened a file did a save as from a Network Archive drive to my local desktop and the dwl file was deleted when I did a search for the original file. But I have administrator rights to the Network Archive.

Not sure if this helps, but maybe it will.

Big pain for me to go in every few days and do a wildcard search for dwl files and delete them to keep the Archive clean!!!!!
*Dave F.
Message 17 of 18 (299 Views)

01-16-2008 12:52 PM in reply to: tony
Bruce McAllister wrote:
> It seems to me that the dwl files are created here where we work when people with read only access open the file with AutoCad, LT, or TrueView. That the dwl files are created and not deleted. I myself opened a file did a save as from a Network Archive drive to my local desktop and the dwl file was deleted when I did a search for the original file. But I have administrator rights to the Network Archive.
>
> Not sure if this helps, but maybe it will.
>
> Big pain for me to go in every few days and do a wildcard search for dwl files and delete them to keep the Archive clean!!!!!

AutoCAD's never dealt with .dwl files properly.

Would a Vbscript that runs at start-up bring a solution to your pain?

Dave F.
Message 18 of 18 (299 Views)

09-11-2008 01:46 PM in reply to: tony
http://blog.jtbworld.com/2007/04/dwl2-new-dwl-in-autocad-2008.html

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube