AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009

BJTERRY1977
Message 1 of 5 (903 Views)

datalink not updating from excel

903 Views, 4 Replies
03-11-2009 02:07 PM
I have recently been starting to use the new datalink command in Autocad 2008. It has been working fine with abut 50 different drawings so far. Lately there are 3 drawings that when excel is changed, autocad does not update. It shows a blank rectanglular box instead. Any help would be appreciated.
*none
Message 2 of 5 (903 Views)

Re: datalink not updating from excel

03-11-2009 02:36 PM in reply to: BJTERRY1977
BJTERRY1977 wrote:
> I have recently been starting to use the new datalink command in Autocad
> 2008. It has been working fine with abut 50 different drawings so far.
> Lately there are 3 drawings that when excel is changed, autocad does not
> update. It shows a blank rectanglular box instead. Any help would be
> appreciated.

You will have better progress if you past the Excel worksheet instead of
linking it.

1. Highlight the area to be used as a table in AutoCAD.
2. Copy to the clipboard.
3. In AutoCAD, under Edit, pick Paste Special.
4. The Excel Worksheet will now be listed in a dialog box. Pick OK.
5. The Excel Worksheet will now be in the AutoCAD dwg where it can be
scaled and/or edited. When the table is double picked, the Excel
Worksheet will be available where it can be edited and the table in the
AutoCAD dwg will be appropriately updated.
BJTERRY1977
Message 3 of 5 (903 Views)

03-12-2009 06:26 AM in reply to: BJTERRY1977
I have templates all set up with the datlinks already and I have thousands to do that all pull from the same sections of the excel sheet. So, I don't think copy and pasting them is the most efficient way for me. Edited by: BJTERRY1977 on Mar 12, 2009 1:26 PM
BJTERRY1977
Message 4 of 5 (903 Views)

03-20-2009 01:35 PM in reply to: BJTERRY1977
Okay, so I haven't got much help here so I tried to figure it out for myself. Here is what I came up with: When I get a blank rectangle in the preview window of a data link, I open up the data link manager, right click on my link, and click edit, I open up the excel sheet I am linking see what the range says, I make the range match my excel sheet (it seems to be thrown off by merged cells and/or row heights being changed), if I do a print preview it gives me the dashed line of where my cut off is and that is the new range I use (I set my links up to be an 8 1/2 x 11 page). The only time I have trouble with this is when I have linked more than two data links. Once I do that, I then draw my tables again and erase the old ones to make sure it all shows up correctly. It seems like a pain in the butt, but it is way better than retyping it.
Contributor
rickhebert
Message 5 of 5 (832 Views)

02-22-2011 04:44 AM in reply to: BJTERRY1977

Hello

I don't know if this will help you.

After placing your tables it seems Acad will not update until you go to TOOLS> DATA LINKS> Update Data Links

Thereafter it should update after every save of the spreadsheet

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube