AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009

WPiHHI
Message 1 of 5 (3,320 Views)

XREF won't detach?

3320 Views, 4 Replies
03-05-2009 02:10 PM
I have a drawing with multiple xref's that I do not need. I did not set up the original drawing. I would like to detach these xref's, but for some reason it will not let me?
arizonasurfin
Message 2 of 5 (3,319 Views)

Re: XREF won't detach?

03-05-2009 03:03 PM in reply to: WPiHHI
If you have multiple layout tabs, the xrefs need to be deleted in the tab in which they were attached.
Contributor
maximo916
Message 3 of 5 (3,318 Views)

03-05-2009 03:06 PM in reply to: WPiHHI
Can you give any more details? What exactly have you tried? Are there any locked layers? Stuff like that.
mrjohnson
Message 4 of 5 (3,318 Views)

03-26-2009 02:16 PM in reply to: WPiHHI
If you go into the External Reference control panel you should be able to show the XRefs in "tree view" (button on far upper right of panel or shortcut F4) and see if any of them are "nested" (Attached not Overlaid) to a common XRef you are not detaching. This should help you see the actual structure of the XRefs so you can know better how to deal with them. I don't think layers or extra layouts should interfere since you will be detaching the XRef Block definition to which all the other insertions of that file are linked to. I could be wrong but the Acad object model shows a direct link to the original attachment.
knavarrete
Message 5 of 5 (2,743 Views)

10-17-2012 07:24 AM in reply to: mrjohnson

Excellent advice!  I went to the tree in the External References dialog box, and found out which file they were attached to. I opened that file and found the unwanted files as that files xref.  There, I detached all of the unwanted files.  Well they didn't go away, so I did a purge and there we go. 

So now I understand that they were burried.

Thanks for your advice.

katnavar13

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube