AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009

rhizo
Message 1 of 5 (313 Views)

System Variable for Retaining VP Layers?

313 Views, 4 Replies
02-07-2012 06:30 AM

Hi all,

I'm having trouble retaining layers in paperspace Viewports. If I block out a drawing to reduce it's size, and then purge the original drawing and import the block back in, none of the Viewport layer settings are retained. Why? Is there a system variable to control this?

Alternately, is there a way to retain Layout/ vp layer settings when importing a Layout into a fresh drawing through DesignCenter? So far I get the Titleblock and Viewports but both the ps and vp layer settings may/may not be as per the file they're taken from. With one layout tab it's no big deal but with 20 on a big drawing, it's a pain.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 5 (312 Views)

Re: System Variable for Retaining VP Layers?

02-07-2012 06:40 AM in reply to: rhizo

That's an interesting approach to cleaning up a file: WBLOCK is already the smaller file, so bringing it back in to the original DWG file does nothing mroe than a simple "slide off screen" and erase what you don't want then "slide back" would not do quicker and easier.

If you are going to WBLOCK, then abandon the file it came from: you can import your Layouts into the newly created file if that's all you want from it.

My 2cents worth.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
rhizo
Message 3 of 5 (310 Views)

02-07-2012 06:51 AM in reply to: pendean

I'd rather start with the fresh WBlocked file, but tediously re-importing umpteen tabs is a no go. Especially when none of the layer settins are retained.

By inserting the wblock back to the original file, I get some file size reduction and keep the tabs. I should mention after wblocking, I turn on all the original file's layers that had been frozen, delete them and purge.

However, if you can tell me how to keep all the tab layout vp layer settings from the original file, I'm all ears :smileyhappy:

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 4 of 5 (271 Views)

02-07-2012 02:53 PM in reply to: rhizo

"...a simple "slide off screen" and erase what you don't want then "slide back" would not do quicker and easier..."

You can also PURGE, and more importantly -PURGE with the extra options, after erasing too. AUDIT or RECOVER followed by PURGE then a QSAVE helps too. If you were paying attention, I was only talking about how you clean up a file, or lack of, and not replying to any of your questions.

Viewport layer settings don't change unless you do something with the viewport itself: like moving it to another layout or creating a new one, or changing the layers in modelspace. So what is it you are doing to the viewport? Your Q1 from Post 1.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 5 of 5 (257 Views)

02-08-2012 05:01 AM in reply to: pendean

I forgot to add a query for your question #2: your method of importing layouts is...? There are two good ways to do it, but ADCENTER is not correct if you want to preserve viewport settings.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube