AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009

dancruchaga
Message 1 of 15 (2,608 Views)

Some objects missing when printing

2608 Views, 14 Replies
03-22-2011 04:17 AM

I have objects missing when trying to print a drawing (regardless of model or paper space) the drawing was originally created with a 2009 version and the problem appears when trying to print with a 2008 version of AutoCAD. It is evident that the problem is generated for an incompatibility of the software, although the drawings are always saved with 2007 option.

Is there any service package or any trick to solve the problem out?

*Expert Elite*
Icemanau
Message 2 of 15 (2,507 Views)

Re: Some objects missing when printing

03-22-2011 04:15 PM in reply to: dancruchaga

First of all, check and make sure the objects are not on a layer that has the print option turned off. Also check to see if they are on the Defpoints layer. If they are, try turning the print option on or moving the object to a different layer.

If the objects are on the Defpoints layer, you will need to move them as that layer can not be set to print.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman)

dancruchaga
Message 3 of 15 (2,494 Views)

03-23-2011 04:22 AM in reply to: dancruchaga

Thanks for that comment but the problem is not on the layers, the same drawing works fine when opened with the 2009 version but wont work with the 2008 vesion, I know the problem is related to a difference on the program that originated the drawing and the program used (3rd party) to print.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 4 of 15 (2,490 Views)

03-23-2011 06:03 AM in reply to: dancruchaga

There is no difference in DWG files or program feature between R2008 and R2009: are you both using plain-Jane AutoCAD 2008 and 2009? "3rd party" add-on? Or is 2009 a vertical? Or does 2009 have an object enabler installed that you don't?

What are these "objects"?

What "3rd party" program exactly?

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Active Contributor
francishc
Message 5 of 15 (2,489 Views)

03-23-2011 06:11 AM in reply to: dancruchaga

Way back in AutoCAD 2004 the readme file stated that there was a known problem: "When plotting drawings containing images some data may be lost". period! end of statement and there was no work around.  In my experience the problem still exists in 2009.  My solution since 2004 has been to plot using just one plot driver for everything.  Try it and see if your problem goes away.  Here is how:

1. In the Add-A-Plotter wizard select add a new plotter to "My Computer"
  2. Plotter Model: Manufacturer: "Raster File Formats" (near the bottom of manufacturers)
  3. Models: "TIFF Version 6 (CCITT G4 2D Compression)"
  4. Ports: "Plot to File"
  5. Select "Edit Plotter Configuration"
  6. "Device and Document Settings" tab:
  7. "User-defined Paper Sizes (Printable Area)"
  8. "Custom Paper Sizes" > Add >Start from scratch
  9. enter the width and height of your "paper size" in pixels
  • Neither dimension should be more than 10,000 pixels (this is important, otherwise the image will be uneditable) so select a dpi that will accomplish this for your paper size.  I use 288dpi for ANSI-D sheet size and 216dpi for ANSI-F size.  The raster output is dimensionless (per AutoCAD) which means that any dpi speciofication made in the plot dialog will be disregarded.  All other raster editing software will assume the AutoCAD tiff output is 72dpi.  My dpi selections are 288 and 216 because these values are multiples of 72 and will prevent any interpolation of pixels when the image dpi is reset.

In the Plot dialog select your new plotter and custom paper, make other settings you want, set the plot scale to [your dpi]=1 unit

Plot.  View the file with your favorite picture and fax viewer.  If this solves your problem there are another couple of steps to create an exact scale plot:

• Reset the dpi of your plot from 72dpi  to what you decided on above (if the image is over 10K pixels in any dimension you will not be able to do this step).  Irfanview is excellent for this and it is FREE! (it can be scripted or embedded in custom autolisp). You can download it here: IrfanView
  • If you have Adobe Standard or better just open the tiff plot file using Adobe (which converts it to a PDF) and print to any output device available to you.  Note: when printing from Adobe, you must check "None" for "Page Scaling" in the Print dialog in order to get an exact scale print.

This step-by-step is long but it would be just about as long for setting up any new plotter.  Once you have it set up the plot process is much much shorter.  I have Adobe Standard 8 and I only use one plotter for everything.  I plot TIFFs, open them in Adobe and print them anywhere, any time.  The real bonus is that they always look exactly the same on any output device available and I only have to maintain one single solitary plot device in AutoCAD.Once plotted, I only need to replot if something on the drawing has changed.  Full size to half size is the exact same image with its dpi reset for that size.  One plotter, one plot, full-size or half-size, and reprints do not require AutoCAD at all! You just can't beat that with a stick!

P.S. You will need a special pen table for each dpi setting you use with pen sizes that are [((your dpi)/72)x(your normal pen sizes)] because AutoCAD is going to use 72dpi when it creates the tiff no matter what.  Bumping the pen sizes by this factor corrects them.

dancruchaga
Message 6 of 15 (2,482 Views)

03-23-2011 07:27 AM in reply to: pendean

Lets say, I have a drawing I am working on with 2009 version of AutoCAD, everything works fine, layering is fine, there are a variety of objects in each layer, they all show fine, some of them single lines some of them blocks, the usual drawing. Everything looks fine in model space or in paper space, I can print the drawing PDF or hard copy, no problems at all with the drawing as long as I use 2009 version of AutoCAD.

As soon as I open the same drawing, without modifying anything to it, with autocad 2008 and try to print, some of the objects are missing, the type of object missing is completely aleatoric, you will have a line printing correctly and the next line (that is in the same layer and has got the same properties will not print. Furthermore, I have tried copying one of the objects printing correctly and placing side by side and one of them will print and the other wont.

I got in touch with my supplier and he said that is a bug in the program but that AutoCAD stopped giving support to correct the problem as per March 15 - 2011 (so I just missed the date)

I was just advise that the situation can be sorted by saving in a 2004 version of AutoCAD

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 7 of 15 (2,461 Views)

03-24-2011 08:02 AM in reply to: dancruchaga

If there was a correction/fix, March 15 would not suddenly make it void: your source was just passing the buck.

Post a sample of an R2009 DWG file, plenty of R2008 users here.

*Expert Elite*
Icemanau
Message 8 of 15 (2,452 Views)

03-24-2011 05:12 PM in reply to: pendean

March 15 is the date the ACAD 2008 officially became a legacy product. That is all that is significant about the date in regards to ACAD anyway.

If there was a bit of code that was set to cause problems when programs became legacy products, there would be massive lawsuits all over the place.

More than likely you have had something corrupt the printer driver 2008 uses or your install of ACAD 2008 itself has had a setting changed somewhere.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman)

dancruchaga
Message 9 of 15 (2,445 Views)

03-25-2011 05:16 AM in reply to: Icemanau

I am not saying that the product has something spooky on it that makes it stop working on that date, all I was told is that as per March the 15th 2011 Autocad dos not offer support for versions lower than 2009. If there was a fix for that problem Autodesk stopped giving support because the release 2008 is to old now (so I was told)  Therefore, if I need the solution for this bug in the program I would have to look for it with some of the distributors out there (mine offered me the solution, of course, with a cost attach)

The problem is not my printer as it was suggested in previous messages, the drawings with the problem show the same problem in different offices and printers (PDF included) but in all the times the program used is AutoCAD 2008.Furthermore, I have one work station in my office that still runs AutoCAD 2008 and I can see how the same drawing.

So it is very clear now that the printing problem is related to using 2009 to do the drawing and printing it with a 2008 version.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 10 of 15 (2,417 Views)

03-28-2011 05:26 AM in reply to: dancruchaga

Like I said, if you want to post a DWG file I'm sure many here will gladly help.

>>>...one work station in my office that still runs AutoCAD 2008...<<<

Have you tried -EXPORTTOAUTOCAD command to 'fix' the file? In 2009 that is, the file's originating version.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube