AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009

Active Contributor
radinplaid
Message 1 of 4 (391 Views)

Settings migration from non-operational install of AutoCAD 2008

391 Views, 3 Replies
03-30-2012 12:49 PM

I recently had a run-in with a less-than-competant IT consultant. He was trying to install some drivers for a different program, but it created the unintended side effect of making it so that AutoCAD would no longer launch. Each time I have tried to launch it (by itself or by opening a file) I am met with the following error: "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc01500002). Click OK to close the application."

When I informed him of this, his answer to the situation was to get me a new computer. I'm not complaining since my computer was probably 4+ years old & running Vista Business, but now I am in the undesirable situation of having lost any semblance of what I had done to make my install of AutoCAD personalized. I understand that there is a way to export settings, but if I'm not mistaken that is based on the assumption that you can load AutoCAD. I still have access to the hard drive (it is plugged into my new box for now) and all my data, I just don't know if there is a way to transfer my settings and whatnot to the new installation of AutoCAD on the new drive. Any help would be VERY much appreciated.

Thanks!

*Expert Elite*
Icemanau
Message 2 of 4 (330 Views)

Re: Settings migration from non-operational install of AutoCAD 2008

04-01-2012 03:28 PM in reply to: radinplaid

Are you aware that ACAD 2008 is not officially supported on Win 7. There are a few workarounds, you just have to do a search on the group.

I believe the migration utility just reads the setting files and does not actually require the original program to be in a running condition. Hopefully somone who has had more experience with migration will be able to confirm that.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman)

Active Contributor
radinplaid
Message 3 of 4 (318 Views)

04-02-2012 06:03 AM in reply to: Icemanau

Thanks for the reply, Brad. I was not aware that ACAD 2008 wasn't officially supported in Win 7, but I also have not yet experienced any problems. I will have to look into that.

It was my understanding that the export/migration command needed to be run within ACAD, I guess I was thinking of something else. However, now that I know what to look for, I tried to run the AdMigrator.exe but it has crashed every time. The same .exe located in the new install folder will run, but I'm thinking that would just try to export my settings from the new installation, which wouldn't really help. If I knew which files to look for, could I simply copy/paste them from my old install folder to the new one? If so, which files should I be looking for?

*Expert Elite*
Icemanau
Message 4 of 4 (308 Views)

04-02-2012 03:32 PM in reply to: radinplaid

I've never used the migration utility so I wouldn't know how it works.

Have you tried looking in the Help and doing a search for migration...

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman)

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube