AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009

Iandj
Message 1 of 4 (1,228 Views)

Plotting problem - Blocks with gradient fill prints when layer is off

1228 Views, 3 Replies
03-12-2012 07:11 PM

Hello All

We have come across a strange problem using Gradient fill in blocks.

In the attached drawing are two test blocks.

The left hand blue block has a blue hatch pattern on the Hatch layer

The right hand magenta block has a magenta gradient pattern the Gradient layer.

If you turn off the Hatch and Gradient layers then the blue and magenta sections of the blocks are no longer displayed, this is correct.

But if you plot or plot preview the drawing the magenta gradient is now visible and yes it does print, this is not correct.

Finally if you explode both blocks and turn off the hatch and gradient layers it will correctly display on the screen and plot preview correctly (i.e no magenta or blue), this is correct.

So the gradient will print correctly if it's a separate object but not if it's part of a block but the hatch has no problem in either case.

I can get around the problem by turning off the plotting for the layer in the Layer properties manager but I should be able to do the same by simply turning off the layer itself.

We have tried this on other versions of Autocad (2006, 2007) and the same problem happens.

Does anyone have any ideas why this happens? The only thing I can think may be related to the problem is that the gradient colours are set in the Gradient dialog box and not controlled by the layer properties itself.

I've done a searchof this site (and others) but I can't find any reference to a similar problem.

Thanks for your help.

Active Contributor
CADbloke
Message 2 of 4 (1,027 Views)

Re: Plotting problem - Blocks with gradient fill prints when layer is off

11-03-2012 04:08 AM in reply to: Iandj

Confirmed this also happens in AutoCAD 2013. Looks like a bug.

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 3 of 4 (1,022 Views)

11-03-2012 05:43 AM in reply to: Iandj

Hi,

freeze the layers instead of switching them off.

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contributor
Whorse
Message 4 of 4 (873 Views)

01-09-2013 10:44 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

I have a similar problem with Gradient hatches on turned off layers still plotting. Nothing else on the layers plot, just the gradients. Freezing the layer isn't an option since we are printing labels from within a block, that are on a separate labels layer, and freezing the layer will turn off the entire block.

Can anyone confirm if this is a bug or if there is a workaround that doesn't involve revamping all of our layers on blocks?

For those that don't have the problem I have, I can confirm that freezing the layers will make the gradients not plot.

JB

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube