AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009

emcee618
Message 1 of 8 (358 Views)

Plot to PDF

358 Views, 7 Replies
12-31-2012 07:50 AM

I am new to AutoCAD and I am sure this is a very basic question but, When plotting a DWG to a PDF the title frame keeps getting cut off in my print preveiw, although while in my paper space veiw the drawing looks fine.

ScreenHunter_01 Dec. 31 10.48.gif 

Thanks,

Mike

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 8 (346 Views)

Re: Plot to PDF

12-31-2012 12:39 PM in reply to: emcee618

PDF has a wider margin than most paper prints: does PREVIEW command show your titleblock intact when your layout is set to output to PDF?

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
emcee618
Message 3 of 8 (341 Views)

12-31-2012 02:15 PM in reply to: pendean

No, When I am previewing to the plotter the titleblock is intact. Anytime I begin the process and preview to plot as a PDF, the title block goes missing. I have manually adjust the "Plot offset" box at the bottom and trim around the titleblock, but it seems there should be an easier way to fit.

I have just taken over a computer that had been previously set up and I have ran into alot of issues with plotting. I have rectified all problems with Plotting straight from AutoCAD, but our work is required to be saved in PDF's and now I have three issues:

1. The text when saved to a PDF is extremely BOLD and unreadable.

I have attempted to change the "Plot Style Table" to "None"

I have been reading about the Z Elevation and I see that my layer of text has "0" for the Z elevations.

2. Anytime I print a PDF out to the plotter, it will print drawings in a random dimenson. Where do I set the preferences for PDF's being printed?

In the "Plot" command, I am selecting the correct paper (Arch D) and then saving as a PDF to my file. Next I open in Adobe, and go to "Document Properties" the page size is listed as 24x36. I plot from Adobe and it is printed out incorrectly. 

3. And finally as we have been discussing, the titleblock issue.

I appreciate any help, I came into this job with no CAD experience three weeks ago (only GIS) and have taken over hundreds of drawings not made by myself and it appears that all user setting have been wiped away, so I am trying to tweak everything back for use.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 4 of 8 (331 Views)

01-02-2013 05:32 AM in reply to: emcee618

>>>..previewing to the plotter the titleblock is intact...<<<

>>>...preview to plot as a PDF, the title block goes missing...<<<

Like I said, PDFs have wider margins: I've never seen a new plotter margin ever work on a PDF margin. Start there, you are comparing apples to oranges otherwise.

1. Actively select all the Text/Mtext objects, and actively type 0 in Properties to ensure they are at Z=0. or use FLATTEN command to do it for you. Or switch to SHX fonts from TTF fonts.

2. PDF driver's print pop-up has a scaling option: if it is set to anything other than NONE it will never plot to scale.

3. See top of this reply.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Contributor
Appleroofing
Message 5 of 8 (328 Views)

01-02-2013 05:58 AM in reply to: emcee618

Try going to the pdf printer and clicking on properties, then custom properties and select landscape and the correct paper size you are trying print. example if you are trying to plot a 24x36, find that size in the paper sizes.

Thanks,

Sean

*Expert Elite*
scot-65
Message 6 of 8 (319 Views)

01-02-2013 03:50 PM in reply to: emcee618

Two items come to mind that you can check:

Command OPTIONS -> Printer tab. Print relative to edge of paper checkbox.

In the drop-down list of sheet sizes in the PLOT dialog, select the "Expanded" size.

One can also use the border's corner (not the edge of paper) as the plot points.

"Center the plot" checkbox in the PLOT dialog works well with this option.

We have a problem where the border is shifted using the build-in PDF driver which

does not show the same offset as our CutePDF driver, and printed to the same device.

It has a mind of it's own...

???

Scot-65
Dyslexia is a permanent physical disability that cannot be seen.
emcee618
Message 7 of 8 (313 Views)

01-03-2013 01:50 PM in reply to: pendean

Where do I set the preferences for a PDF's Margins?

Contributor
Appleroofing
Message 8 of 8 (303 Views)

01-04-2013 05:16 AM in reply to: emcee618

Try this:

-select PDF printer in your autocad drawing

-click on properties

-click on custom properties

-click on paper sizes and select your sheet size needed (remember to select paper orientation landscape or portrait)

-if those don't work try custom paper size in the paper sizes selection area and create the margins you need on your custom made sheet

Thanks

Sean

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube