AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009

*Expert Elite*
sbrusco
Message 1 of 4 (375 Views)

Linetype Generation and PLines

375 Views, 3 Replies
01-12-2009 08:51 AM
If i select a pline and open the properties palette, there is a property in the Misc group named "Linetype generation" that can be either enabled or disabled. What function does this provide? What is linetype generation?

TIA,
Sal

*Expert Elite*
GrantsPirate
Message 2 of 4 (375 Views)

Re: Linetype Generation and PLines

01-12-2009 01:13 PM in reply to: sbrusco
Look at PLINEGEN in the help files.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.
Distinguished Contributor
Laxtor
Message 3 of 4 (375 Views)

01-13-2009 01:12 AM in reply to: sbrusco
With PLINEGEN set to 0, the linetypes of polylines are generated independantly for each segment of the polyline, for arc segments this means that the linetype will always be generated in an anti-clockwise direction, which for some linetypes can be a problem.

With PLINEGEN set to 1, the linetypes of polylines are generated continuously along the entire polyline, in this case arc segments that are drawn in a clockwise direction will have the correct linetype orientation.

One draw back of having plinegen set to 1 is that if a shape or text falls at the end of a segment it can be projected outside the line of the polyline.

The attached image shows the effect of plinegen when used with linetype containing text. The top polyline has Linetype Generation disabled, the bottom enabled.
*Expert Elite*
sbrusco
Message 4 of 4 (375 Views)

01-13-2009 03:26 AM in reply to: sbrusco
Thanks Laxtor,

Somewhere in the back of my mind i suspected it had something to do with linetypes that contain words and i even ran a couple *simple* tests using the GAS linetype you used in your example. But my tests didn't expose the answer. In fact, i didn't even know the var was PLINEGEN.

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Sal

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube