AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009

olneyt
Message 1 of 11 (1,509 Views)

Incorrect Objects Being Pasted from Clipboard

1509 Views, 10 Replies
11-16-2012 05:45 AM

Hello all.  I'm the designer for my company, and I'm utilizing AutoCAD 2008 to convert 2D drawings from other third party programs (Solid Edge and Solid Works mainly) to .dwg as just about every customer has AutoCAD to view our approval and manufacturing drawings.  Occasionally I need to use strictly AutoCAD files to put a few things together and generally in doing so, I have an extremely annoying issue with copy/paste.  Generally the first time I try to copy and paste something from one drawing into another, everything works smoothly.  However, come the second time (or any time after really) I try to copy something entirely different and paste it in, it still (every time) tries to paste in something I had previously copied.  I have even made a shortcut on my desktop to clear my clipboard.  This does in fact clear my clipboard, but somehow only AutoCAD can still keep track of something I had copied earlier.  I've closed down AutoCAD completely, I've restarted my computer, heck I've even shut it down overnight and still come back the next day to AutoCAD trying to paste in something I had copied a day or so ago.

I'm at wit's end trying to figure this out and have wasted way too much time trying to figure this out over the past week.  Hopefully this made sense, but it's confusing in itself.  Help!!

-Tyler

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 11 (1,472 Views)

Re: Incorrect Objects Being Pasted from Clipboard

11-17-2012 06:22 AM in reply to: olneyt

If the old COPYCLIP item is being pasted, then the newer COPYCLIP object never got clipped in the first place.

If the problem is file specific, you won't even be able to WBLOCK out the newer object either: is the problem file specific? Can't tell if you tested anything beyond the CTRL+C or CTRL+V functions.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
olneyt
Message 3 of 11 (1,437 Views)

11-19-2012 05:12 AM in reply to: pendean

The files being copied are from either a .dwg or .dxf.  Yes, they originally come from Solid Edge or Solid Works, but the items are in an AutoCAD native file format at the time of copying.

My process consists of Edit>Copy, then I choose what I want to copy from one drawing and press enter.  Go to the next drawing that requires the item I just copied, Edit>Paste Special, and then the incorrect object shows on the screen.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 4 of 11 (1,415 Views)

11-20-2012 05:14 AM in reply to: olneyt

You may have to "fix" those 3rd party sourced DWG/DXF files first: I don't remember if 2008 has -EXPORTTOAUTOCAD command (there is a dash in the name) to save the file(s) down to R14 or R2000 format to remove objects that are conflicting.

olneyt
Message 5 of 11 (1,397 Views)

11-21-2012 11:48 AM in reply to: pendean

I don't believe that is the problem.  Example:  Just now, I made a part in Solid Edge and converted it to 2D.  I then saved the file as a .dwg and opened it in AutoCAD with no problems.  I then copied the three views to paste into a drawing that was originally created in AutoCAD.  The three views pasted into the drawing with no problems and all was well.  I then needed to copy/paste three additional views from a completely different piece that was also created in Solid Edge and then converted to 2D and subsequently a .dwg.  AutoCAD will only try to paste the original piece.  But it would paste the correct piece the INITIAL time I tried.  What gives??

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 6 of 11 (1,355 Views)

11-26-2012 05:40 AM in reply to: olneyt

Review the first sentence of my first reply in this thread: the newer objects are not in the Windows clipboard.

So narrow the problem down to find the issue instead of just repeating the original problem: copy/paste the same types of objects but only between AutoCAD-created DWG files, does the problem still exist?

What Windows version are you using? What does the Windows Clipboard viewer show for content when the paste fails, the first set or the second set? Copy/Paste is a Windows system function so it is independent from AutoCAD and SolidEdge.

olneyt
Message 7 of 11 (1,332 Views)

11-28-2012 12:50 PM in reply to: pendean

If I copy/paste items that were originally created in AutoCAD there is no problem.

I tried the EXPORTTOAUTOCAD command.  Unfortunately it did not work (the command did prompt up, but nothing different happened to the file).

I am using Windows 7 Pro 64 bit with 18gig RAM.

It's just confusing how it will paste the original file I copy no problem, but then that file becomes the only thing it will paste.  Oddly enough, I tried copying the entire .dwg assembly file (that I have been trying to paste other items into) into the file that has the part that will not paste (hopefully that made sense).  What happens?  It replaces the other items already on the full assembly drawing with the one that would not paste.  So the process is an everlasting circle that will always leave me short at least one piece I need to paste in one form or another.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 8 of 11 (1,304 Views)

12-01-2012 04:51 AM in reply to: olneyt
Get a Windows clipboard viewer and find out what is going one: also try a 3rd party Windows Clipboard Manager.
FYI, your Autodesk software/Windows combo is unsupported: are you by chance running in XP Mode in Win7?
olneyt
Message 9 of 11 (1,287 Views)

12-07-2012 05:51 AM in reply to: pendean

No I am just running AutoCAD LT 2008 on Windows 7.

olneyt
Message 10 of 11 (1,285 Views)

12-07-2012 06:20 AM in reply to: pendean

I watched the clipboard viewer while copying/pasting different items as mentioned before.  Just now it showed one object on the clipboard and pasted a different one.  Whatever I try copying does in fact show up correctly within the Windows clipboard.  It is not pasting correctly into AutoCAD, however.

Another odd occurance:  I had a correct item pasted into a drawing.  I went to copy an additional, new item to paste into that same drawing.  After copying the item from a separate file, I go back to the original drawing I want to paste it to and see that the previously correct item has in fact CHANGED into what I had just copied last...Without pasting or anything.  My previous correct item had just randomly changed entirely to what was currently on my clipboard without any action other than initially copying it.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube