Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import text

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
cadamson2112
1782 Views, 8 Replies

Import text

Is there a way to import text from the spreadsheet, other than using paste special and bringing the spreadsheet data in as an image. I'm working with AutoCAD 2006.

When I used paste special in 2004 paste as AutoCAD entities. My notes would come in as dText, and the format would be identical to the format I had created in Excel.  by format. I mean that the columns would be lined up and justified perfectly.

Now that I use 2006+  either text comes in as an image, or as a jumbled and Mtext mess.

Is there a Lisp routine that would make AutoCAD 2006 Behave the Way 2004 did?

Thanks

Chris-

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Hi,

>> Now that I use 2006+  either text comes in as an image, or as a jumbled and Mtext mess.

Really "MText mess"? When I go the same way in 2006 as in 2004 I get an AutoCAD Table object with all options the table object in AutoCAD had in 2006.

If you again want to have single text objects, not grouped together and including table-gridlines you can start command _EXPLODE after inserting, that creates single text objects and lines.

XLS_PasteSpec_2006_AN01.gif

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 9

thanks

I'll give it another try.

just hate to explode and move stuff around.  i'm lazy

Chris-

Message 4 of 9

Hi,

>> just hate to explode and move stuff around

Why do you want to explode it then? Leave it as table and use the table's functionalities/advantages!

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 9
pendean
in reply to: cadamson2112

So this is a fear of table objects in AutoCAD?
Then paste into Windows Notepad first from Excel, then copy/paste from Notepad into AutioCAD. Or export from Excel to a CSV file then copy/paste from inside that to AutoCAD.
Message 6 of 9
cadamson2112
in reply to: pendean

thank you.

I have tried note pad as an intermediate step.  I have not tried CSV though.

usually the result is the same, that is, columuns are not lined up and or justfied.

Chris-

Message 7 of 9
Jay_B

@cadamson2112 wrote:

thank you.

usually the result is the same, that is, columuns are not lined up and or justfied.

Chris-

As Alfred suggested, "Leave it as table and use the table's functionalities/advantages!"

Create Table Styles with the desired Formatting and also look into what "Remove Property Overrides" does

which will allow an Excel Table to match the Acad Table Style definition.

Linked Tables can be a bit quirky but once set up, columns can be lined up and justified as well as data linked

to the Excel file.

This way the Excel file changes the UPDATEDATALINK command updates the Table in drawing.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 8 of 9
cadamson2112
in reply to: Jay_B

Is there a way to globally edit the table once it has been placed into AutoCAD. I'm trying to change the font of all the cells at the same time.

Could you please explain "remove property overrides"
Message 9 of 9
pendean

1. TABLESTYLE and change the defined test style being used there for each category, forever (assumes you do not have any manually changed text styles).
2. Change the font for the text STYLE being used. Then REGENALL.
3. Do it manually by selecting all the cells then using PROPERTIES to change the TEXT STYLE entry to another text style you have in the file.

You can't just change the font: this is AutoCAD, you need a predefined STYLE first.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost