AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009

steven
Message 1 of 7 (3,402 Views)

Import/Export Dimension Styles

3402 Views, 6 Replies
10-21-2008 03:24 PM
I've searched this item through the discussion groups and for something I would have thought was important can't seem to find anything on this.... I have created a dimension style that I would like to export so that I can then import it into other drawings for use without having to set up all the parameters of a dimension style that I like every time I use it in a new drawing. I notice that drawings that architects send me always seem to have the same dimension style in each of their drawings leading me to believe this is something you can import or export as a standard to your drawings -- just can't figure out how to do it.

For the most part most of the drawings I use are first created by other users or companies so being able to add my own dimension style rather than just start from a template of my own creation is important.

Any help for this newbie from some of you more experienced ACAD wizards would be very gratefully received.

Steven Leuck
Oregon
Distinguished Contributor
rgrainer
Message 2 of 7 (3,402 Views)

Re: Import/Export Dimension Styles

10-21-2008 03:56 PM in reply to: steven
You can take an existing Dimension and place it in a tool palette and drop it into a new dwg or
create a script file that contains your settings
ie

DIMALTD
DIMALTF
DIMALTRND
DIMALTTD
DIMALTTZ
DIMALTU
DIMALTZ
DIMAPOST
m
DIMASO
ON
DIMASZ

etc
that is a couple of ways for now
grainer
*Dean Saadallah
Message 3 of 7 (3,402 Views)

10-21-2008 04:22 PM in reply to: steven
While you seek to export, you may have skipped over importing as an option.

You can drag/drop DIMSTYLES from one file (or a template with all your
standards in it) to another using ADCENTER command (which also lets you drag
and drop many other things from one file to another).

Toolpalettes noted above is a good option too.

--
Dean Saadallah
http://LTisACAD.blogspot.com
--
steven
Message 4 of 7 (3,402 Views)

10-21-2008 05:23 PM in reply to: steven
Thanks to both of you for good suggestions. I tried both and figured out ways to make them work for me.

Thanks again.

Steven Leuck
Oregon
dpatrick
Message 5 of 7 (3,402 Views)

10-30-2008 06:59 AM in reply to: steven
The answer to your question is yes AutoCAD did think it was important to have the ability to import/export dimension styles. If you installed the ExpressTools you will find that under the dimension pulldown is the import/export dimstyles. You can also use the command line by using:

TO IMPORT:
{color:#999999}command:{color} {color:#3366ff}dimim

{color:#000000}TO EXPORT:
{color}{color:#999999}command: {color}{color:#0000ff}dimex{color}
{color:#000000}You will then get a dialog box to Import/Export the dimension styles{color}{color} Edited by: dpatrick@trgpsc.com on Oct 30, 2008 10:00 AM
ctac
Message 6 of 7 (2,234 Views)

01-24-2013 07:39 AM in reply to: steven

Thank you guys! One can learn sth new every day - with you guys every minute! Cheers! 

*Expert Elite*
scot-65
Message 7 of 7 (2,227 Views)

01-24-2013 03:47 PM in reply to: ctac

My two cents?

Every once in a while some of our older drawings will have the dimension style go south.

With this in mind, we have a keyboard command that will reset (or load) our dimension style.

[Since this is a keyboard command, one can populate the file menu, ribbon, toolbar button, or

screen menu... Whichever is convenient for you]

You may get some hits by searching in the Customization section...

Scot-65

Scot-65
Dyslexia is a permanent physical disability that cannot be seen.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube