AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009

JBart16
Message 1 of 5 (1,461 Views)

How to insert a scanned image into AutoCAD and make it look the clearest?

1461 Views, 4 Replies
01-22-2009 09:46 AM
I have scanned an image that needs to be put onto a drawing, but the quality stinks. I inserted "Raster image reference" Are there any other methods of inserting an image into autocad that would increase the quality of the image? Thanks so much

Jim
Contributor
tthomason
Message 2 of 5 (1,461 Views)

Re: How to insert a scanned image into AutoCAD and make it look the clearest?

01-22-2009 12:33 PM in reply to: JBart16
If you convert your scan or image into a pdf there is a program that converts the pdf to dxf which can then be inserted into your drawing.
You can clean up the scanned clutter in acad. I don't know how well it works with images but scans or other pdfs it works great. I tried to attach to this message but it didn't allow. The name of the program is pdf2dxf.exe.
Sometimes if you save the file as a jpeg it works better, or if you have photoshop or other program and clean up prior to inserting into
drawing.
Good luck

Tom
JBart16
Message 3 of 5 (1,461 Views)

01-22-2009 01:03 PM in reply to: JBart16
Thanks Tom, I really appreciate the help
*hmspe
Message 4 of 5 (1,461 Views)

01-22-2009 08:20 PM in reply to: JBart16
I scan to png format, which can be inserted as an image. My 8.5 X 11
scanner will do 600 dots per inch. I use docuprinter to convert pdf
files to png.

JBart16 wrote:
> I have scanned an image that needs to be put onto a drawing, but the
> quality stinks. I inserted "Raster image reference" Are there any other
> methods of inserting an image into autocad that would increase the
> quality of the image? Thanks so much Jim
LukeQuietus
Message 5 of 5 (1,461 Views)

03-30-2009 05:51 AM in reply to: JBart16
Just make sure the image you're using is in a lossless format. Basically JPEG is compressed 20% everytime it's resaved with an image editor (Photoshop, GIMP etc.) so if you have either program I'd recommend saving all images you intend to use with AutoCAD to PNG which is a lossless format. TIFF is also lossless but can be 5 times the size of a PNG file and they're both of equal quality, just TIFF support LAYERS and other extras. GIMP is free and I'd recommend having it even if just for resaving images to PNG and for cleaning up images you export from AutoCAD. Maybe even using it for colouring instead of HATCHING as the colours can be much better on a printout than hatching (if you're using colour and not patterns for a dwg).
Also PDF is good but you may need a program like PDFIN to bring it into AutoCAD 2008.

Sorry for the abundance of info. Probably more than you wanted.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube