AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009

jimi_boom81
Message 1 of 6 (2,536 Views)

Hidden Layers`

2536 Views, 5 Replies
06-22-2009 07:27 AM
I have a problem with a hidden layer that i cannot find.

bear with me as i try to explain this one.

I have created a drawing with layers imported from another drawing, however after I have saved the completed drawing the imported layers have dissparead from my workspace,
if I look in the layer manager all layers are present and are active, all colours are visable in my workspace but I cannont find the original infomration that I have imported.
I have also done work on the same drawing out of the office and have the information saved on a USB pen drive, if I open that drawing the referance information is present.
Does anyone know why this has occured, i have a feeling it maybe soething to do with the imported informations referance and that the drawing can no longer find that referaanced information. if that is the case how do i go about telling the drawing where it can find the information.

I could try recreating the drawing from scratch but thats really not what i want to do, any help please would be greatly appreciated
*Aug
Message 2 of 6 (2,535 Views)

Re: Hidden Layers`

06-22-2009 09:25 AM in reply to: jimi_boom81

Under the "Insert" drop down menu there is a
selection for external references. If you go to that dialog box it will tell you
which external references are missing the link to the referenced file and allow
you to remap to the location.

aug
Active Contributor
yasin2ray
Message 3 of 6 (2,410 Views)

05-23-2011 11:52 AM in reply to: jimi_boom81

I have a similar problem that is not fixed by the 'Insert' idea that was mentioned.There are no xrefs in my drawing.

I created a detail by copying someone else's detail block into a new document. I exploded the block and recreated the linework. I don't see any extra objects when I'm in my file, but they show up when I 'insert' the detail into my detail sheet.

This may be related also. I have layers in my document from the original block drawing that I cannot delete - I get an error message that there is linework on those layers so they cannot be deleted. But I have done my best to delete all the old linework. Where is it hiding???

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2010
*Expert Elite*
Icemanau
Message 4 of 6 (2,401 Views)

05-23-2011 03:08 PM in reply to: yasin2ray

Try going to the Layer Properties and clicking on the 3rd icon at the top left. This brings up the Layer States Manager.

Down the bottom section, under Restore Options, there is a check box titled 'Turn off Layers not found in Layer State'

If this is checked, uncheck it and try importing your layer state again.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman)

Active Contributor
yasin2ray
Message 5 of 6 (2,389 Views)

05-25-2011 03:15 PM in reply to: jimi_boom81

Brad,

I looked at the Layer States Manager (which I have never used before) and learned I have no layer states. So, if nothing else, thanks for introducing me to the topic!

Any other ideas for the hidden objects?

Anna

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2010
Distinguished Mentor
Moshe-A
Message 6 of 6 (2,374 Views)

05-27-2011 08:42 AM in reply to: jimi_boom81

hi

Explain how did you import those layers?

did you copy+paste some objects on some layers?

if this is the case? then maybe these objects were insert as a block

and some how (by mistake) were erased.

just copy+paste them again (from the USB pen drive) and thats it.

cheers

Moshe

Spoiler

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube