AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009

Message 1 of 10 (815 Views)

Getting rid of 2009 Ribbons

815 Views, 9 Replies
12-24-2008 07:59 AM
I was told by an Autodesk person that I could reset 2009 to look like normal AutoCADD. Does anyone know how to do this I hate the ribbons!

Thanks
*Expert Elite*
Message 2 of 10 (815 Views)

Re: Getting rid of 2009 Ribbons

12-24-2008 09:17 AM in reply to: jenmarshman
Look in lower right corner of screen for icon that looks something like a gear click on it and set your Workspace to Classic.
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2014 Edu 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
*Gehenna
Message 3 of 10 (815 Views)

12-24-2008 07:02 PM in reply to: jenmarshman
jenmarshman wrote:
> I was told by an Autodesk person that I could reset 2009 to look like
> normal AutoCADD. Does anyone know how to do this I hate the ribbons! Thanks
Type RIBBONCLOSE and this will close the Ribbon. Then type MENUBAR and
you will have the menu like 2007, 2008, etc. Also, change Workspace to
Classic.
*R.K. McSwain
Message 4 of 10 (815 Views)

12-27-2008 05:55 AM in reply to: jenmarshman
jenmarshman wrote:
> I was told by an Autodesk person that I could reset 2009 to look like normal
> AutoCADD. Does anyone know how to do this I hate the ribbons! Thanks

Here are some tips:
http://www.blog.cadnauseam.com/2008/03/27/autocad-2009-putting-things-back-to-normal/

http://www.blog.cadnauseam.com/2008/05/01/autocad-2009-putting-things-back-to-normal-revisited/

--
R.K. McSwain
http://cadpanacea.com
Distinguished Contributor
Message 5 of 10 (815 Views)

12-28-2008 10:08 AM in reply to: jenmarshman
Yes, I hated them too. Stay productive, by all means, but don't forget to go back to review the "new ways".

Some instructors suggest leaving new features on for 30-days to force yourself to learn them and to evaluate their true usefulness. After several months, I finally jumped in with both feet and gave the ribbon a chance. I'll not be going back to toolbars anytime soon. The Ribbon combined with Tool Palettes are a convenient, highly customizable, and effective way to stay productive.

There is danger in becoming technologically stagnant. Not staying relatively up-to-date with the software can limit you in ways you can't foresee until you'll be forced to update in a very big (and painful) way. New is good, old is good, and change is hard but resistance is futile. Yes, being an early adopter does come with some risk... will the new persist in future releases, can I (or do I have time to) train my users, is the Ribbon a "magic bullet"? Don't fall into a rut my abandoning something potentially good by letting the exception override the rule. Often, the exception isn't as big as we perceive or simply fades away with new workflows and processes.

While I can't guarantee the Ribbon will make your life easier or more productive, I want to warn against closed-mindedness. I know your question was specific and perhaps that's why the responses you got are seemingly one-sided. Please don't consider my reply as an accusation or attack! The truth is that I am dealing with similar issues in spades... I saw my chance to release and I'm hoping this is therapeutic for me (and helpful to others?).

Can someone help me get this couch down off of this pulpit?

We're all in this together,

other JD
Valued Contributor
Message 6 of 10 (815 Views)

12-28-2008 01:27 PM in reply to: jenmarshman
Excellent post JD, couldn't agree more.
It is straightforward to switch back to the Classic workspace, and this is very useful if you need to stay productive, so I can understand the reasons behind the question.
When running AutoCAD training courses, I always like to stress the importance of allowing some time to get used to new features, at least review them, to see what may be useful for you.
With changes to the interface it can be more difficult to convince users of the benefits... but they are there... unfortunately their is also a short learning curve to realise the benefits.
I also appreciate that we are all different, I work with CAD users at all levels, from users that drive with the keyboard in clear screen mode or those that prefer to utilise the interface to the max with a range of specific toolbars visible at all times, and their are those with a preference for a customised interface.
Personally, I maintain the default interfaces, (as well as some customised for specific production tasks), but I need to run training courses for users at all levels and it is no good presenting new users with my customised interfaces.
Wouldn't life be boring if we were all the same...
Anyway... the learning curve is short, so give the Ribbon a chance.

Cheers
John Edited by: jjbenstead on Jan 1, 2009 12:34 PM
*Herman Van Ree
Message 7 of 10 (815 Views)

12-30-2008 10:13 PM in reply to: jenmarshman
Hello jenmarshman

You can control the ribbons with the "system variable"

RIBBONSTATE 0 or 1

Regards Herman Van Ree
"jenmarshman" wrote in message news:6095365@discussion.autodesk.com...
I was told by an Autodesk person that I could reset 2009 to look like normal
AutoCADD. Does anyone know how to do this I hate the ribbons! Thanks
Valued Contributor
Message 8 of 10 (815 Views)

12-31-2008 06:05 AM in reply to: jenmarshman
I feel comeled to comment on this subject. A fellow employee here is still working in AutoCAD 14, and if it were up to him we all would be working in AutoCAD 14. I know that some people are more comfortable with the know and fear change. If this was the case for all, then there would be no future.

We are upgrading to AutoCAD & Civil 3D 2009 in January.

Happy new year to all.

Richard
Message 9 of 10 (815 Views)

01-09-2009 08:31 PM in reply to: jenmarshman
One way to get rid of the ribbon is to go to Tools, then Palettes, then click ribbon. That way you can remove them and insert them as needed.
*Gehenna
Message 10 of 10 (815 Views)

01-09-2009 08:45 PM in reply to: jenmarshman
jedimasterpowell wrote:
> One way to get rid of the ribbon is to go to Tools, then Palettes, then
> click ribbon. That way you can remove them and insert them as needed.
Why not just type "ribbonclose"?

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube