AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009

Distinguished Contributor
Message 1 of 6 (944 Views)

Create A Logo from .dwg File

944 Views, 5 Replies
07-05-2008 07:14 AM
Hi,

I am hoping there is a simple fix to a problem I am experiencing when trying to create a logo and use it in AutoCAD 2009.

I have created the logo in AutoCAD and saved it using Wblock. When I insert the logo into a new drawing, there really isn't a problem with files on my system. The problem occurs on my clients' sysems because I use a special font for part of the logo, and that font file isn't always installed on the customer's systems. This results in an unattractive substituted font on my clients' systems.

I would like to create a logo that can be used in the drawings, and not have to worry about making sure the font is installed on my clients' systems. I thought that using the logo that I have already created in AutoCAD, but saving it in another file format that I could then insert into each of my drawings, might be a better approach. If this is the case, which utility might be best for this task? Or, is there a way create a graphic in AutoCAD that wouldn't search for the font each time the drawing is opened?

(If converting the .dwg file to another format, I am also interested in opinions regarding the best types of lossless formats (raster, I presume) so that the logo can be scaled as desired without loss of detail.)

Thanks for any help.

Jeff
*Bill Gilliss
Message 2 of 6 (944 Views)

Re: Create A Logo from .dwg File

07-05-2008 07:32 AM in reply to: Jeff10
Jeff -

Two options I know of, depending on how the logo needs to appear.

1) plot the logo to a raster file format like JPG, then insert the JPG
image into the drawing. Of course, you'll then have to remember to take
the JPG with you -- not that much of an improvement over taking the font
with you, although you won't be infringing any font licenses.

2) use the Express Tools Explode Text command, clean up the resulting
polylines, and place hatch or gradient fills in them as desired. This
has the advantage of being an all-AutoCAD, all-vector solution, with no
external files to keep track of or xref paths to keep straight.

-Bill

===========

Jeff_Bennett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am hoping there is a simple fix to a problem I am experiencing when trying to create a logo and use it in AutoCAD 2009.
>
> I have created the logo in AutoCAD and saved it using Wblock. When I insert the logo into a new drawing, there really isn't a problem with files on my system. The problem occurs on my clients' sysems because I use a special font for part of the logo, and that font file isn't always installed on the customer's systems. This results in an unattractive substituted font on my clients' systems.
>
> I would like to create a logo that can be used in the drawings, and not have to worry about making sure the font is installed on my clients' systems. I thought that using the logo that I have already created in AutoCAD, but saving it in another file format that I could then insert into each of my drawings, might be a better approach. If this is the case, which utility might be best for this task? Or, is there a way create a graphic in AutoCAD that wouldn't search for the font each time the drawing is opened?
>
> (If converting the .dwg file to another format, I am also interested in opinions regarding the best types of lossless formats (raster, I presume) so that the logo can be scaled as desired without loss of detail.)
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Jeff
*Gehenna
Message 3 of 6 (944 Views)

07-05-2008 10:32 AM in reply to: Jeff10
Jeff_Bennett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am hoping there is a simple fix to a problem I am experiencing when trying to create a logo and use it in AutoCAD 2009.
>
> I have created the logo in AutoCAD and saved it using Wblock. When I insert the logo into a new drawing, there really isn't a problem with files on my system. The problem occurs on my clients' sysems because I use a special font for part of the logo, and that font file isn't always installed on the customer's systems. This results in an unattractive substituted font on my clients' systems.
>
> I would like to create a logo that can be used in the drawings, and not have to worry about making sure the font is installed on my clients' systems. I thought that using the logo that I have already created in AutoCAD, but saving it in another file format that I could then insert into each of my drawings, might be a better approach. If this is the case, which utility might be best for this task? Or, is there a way create a graphic in AutoCAD that wouldn't search for the font each time the drawing is opened?
>
> (If converting the .dwg file to another format, I am also interested in opinions regarding the best types of lossless formats (raster, I presume) so that the logo can be scaled as desired without loss of detail.)
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Jeff
Are you are sending your files via email? If so, the eTransmit will
capture your fonts, layers, linetypes, etc. If not, and you are
transmitting your dwgs via CD or flash drive, then you will have to
include a copy of your font and tell them to add it to their font directory.
Message 4 of 6 (944 Views)

07-05-2008 10:39 AM in reply to: Jeff10
Hi Bill,

Thanks for your suggestions. Exploding the text is probably the best solution, although I was hoping there might be something that would do a better job with curves.

I have a copy of a program I bought probably 18 years ago that I thought might work; but, I'm not sure about installing it on an XP or Vista machine. The name of the utility is FONTasm by G. Gordon & Associates.

Thanks again for the suggestion to explode text. I'll probably head down that road.

Take Care

Jeff
Message 5 of 6 (944 Views)

07-05-2008 10:42 AM in reply to: Jeff10
Hi Gehenna,

Thanks for your response.

The real problem is that the drawings that I transmit to clients are sometimes transfered to other customers and clients. Whether etransmit is used, or CDs, the font information isn't always considered to be important.

I'll probably be following Bill's suggestion and exploding the text.

Thanks for your input.

Jeff
Message 6 of 6 (944 Views)

07-05-2008 11:01 AM in reply to: Jeff10
If you have Adobe Illustrator, or another vector based program, than draw your logo in this, export the file as DWG and you're done. If your logo was done professionally, than chances are there is an .ai or .eps file that your can export the DWG

MZ

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you interested in helping shape the Autodesk Community?
We’re looking at a few different ways to improve the “All Forums” landing page and need your feedback! If interested, please take a few minutes to fill out the following Usability Study. Thank you for your time!

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube