AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009

extremecheese
Message 1 of 22 (736 Views)

Autocad 2009 crashes regularly

736 Views, 21 Replies
02-26-2013 01:32 AM

I'm sure most will understand that as an ex Microstation user, Autocad is perhaps the most frustrating software that I've ever used. (And I've been forced to using it in the past before) It seems however that since ACAD 2007 the product has become even more unreliable where it crashes countless times every day, and is even incapable of selecting 3 2D (yes 2D!) lines without bombing out.

Though there is a whole pletheral of swear words that I'd like to throw at Autodesk right now, my question is simply, is there anything I can do to make it work properly or am I stuck with substandard over fussy software that should have never made it out of the 1980's?

*Expert Elite*
heinsite
Message 2 of 22 (722 Views)

Re: Autocad 2009 crashes regularly

02-26-2013 02:02 AM in reply to: extremecheese

I honestly never had that problem.  But it could be happening to you for a variety of reasons.  You may be short of memory, either because the machine is limited or you have too many applications running.  You may have a video card issue.  You might have a fault in the application itself and may want to repair or even reinstall the product.  Or there may be other reasons.

If the problem persists you might want to send Autodesk a full report that includes all your system specs.

Dave.

------------------------------------------------------
Dave Hein, P.E.
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 3 of 22 (713 Views)

02-26-2013 05:44 AM in reply to: extremecheese

Try testing in diagnostic more to try and pinpoint any conflict:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=6453117&linkID=9240617
If there are no crashes while in this mode, your issue is a system related problem. If it crashes, your observation, though, atypical may be validated.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 4 of 22 (711 Views)

02-26-2013 08:14 AM in reply to: heinsite

The 2009 releases were notorious for memory issues, one of the reasons I skipped it.  Seconded on more info - OS, RAM, CPU/speed, video card etc.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

extremecheese
Message 5 of 22 (701 Views)

02-26-2013 04:20 PM in reply to: extremecheese

Well thanks for the respnoses, I'm running on a very new machine with 32 Gigs of Ram and therefore do not believe that my spec is an issue. The issue of course is with AutoCad, and to say that 2009 is notorious for crashing is no excuse for Autodesk to release substandard software.

I have on countless occasions filled in the error report and this seems to fall on deaf ears at Autodesk, the sad point of all of this is that Autodesk should refrain from releasing anything that hasn't been fully tested rather than force people to upgrade thier software on a year by year basis.

Sorry Autocad, but your box art is all well and nice, but the lesson to be learnt is to avoid you wherever possible!

Thanks again for your responses.

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 6 of 22 (686 Views)

02-27-2013 03:02 AM in reply to: extremecheese

Hi,

>> I'm running on a very new machine with 32 Gigs of Ram

32GB is great, but there are other "options" built in into your workstation, so what processor, what graphiccard, what OS do you use?

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 7 of 22 (683 Views)

02-27-2013 06:04 AM in reply to: extremecheese

Did you try the system test I posted? Or do you never want to find out the real culprit? because I bet Autodesk in 2008 never tested 2009 on your 2013 rig or OS so it's hard to "admonish" anyone for not leaping into the future for you. Filing reports about it is pointless for the same 'leap to the future' reasons.

Do the system test, get real data, come back for real help if it's not hardware acceleration or video card driver of another software conflict on your PC. R2009 is widely used today, this site would have every other post complaining toherwise.

Do the system test already.

if you are using Windows 8, you are so out of luck it's sadly not even funny. Figure out how to downgrade Win8 or get a loan for R2014 coming out next month or so. No other fix exists.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 8 of 22 (677 Views)

02-27-2013 06:59 AM in reply to: pendean

Hi,

>> if you are using Windows 8, you are so out of luck

Also Win7 is not an supported OS for AutoCAD 2009.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
*Expert Elite*
Bob_Zurunkle
Message 9 of 22 (673 Views)

02-27-2013 09:03 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

As I recall, it was 2010 that had the crashing issue, which was fixed with the mid-year patch. OP did you make sure you have the product fully patched? Another thing that comes to mind is the operating system, which you never divulged. I actually was able to run 2011 on XP, but Vista was a dog, and although 7 is so much better, many still have issues with its aero theme. Someone correct me, but I think it was the 2011 release that was guaranteed to run on Windows 7.

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted :smileyhappy:
*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 10 of 22 (660 Views)

02-27-2013 03:58 PM in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

The 2010 release issue that stuck in my mind was the local-only/network-only licensing for Raster Design, which was later patched (thankfully).  And I think you're right about the 2011 release running on Win7, which looks to be working out for us quite well.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube