Did you mean: 

AutoCad 2008 (educational edition) startup issues second time

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
H.Hoogendam
296 Views, 3 Replies

AutoCad 2008 (educational edition) startup issues second time

Hi,

When a user logs on the computer and start AutoCad 2008 all works just fine.

After he logs on the second time to the same computer AutoCad 2008 staert with an error saying he can't find the acad.cui file.

I monitored it and I found out that a lot of files in the map c:\documetns and settings\username\Application Data\AutoCad 2008\R17.1\enu\Support\

are deleted as soon the user logs on the second time.

It only leaves behind 5 folders and a file called support.cdc

How can I prefend this happening all the time? The users are students and they log on to a domain computer with XP.

All help and tips are appreciated Smiley Wink

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Hi,

>> are deleted as soon the user logs on the second time

I guess the files are deleted when the user logs off the first time, not when login the second time 😉

At least it's a Windows question and has nothing to do with AutoCAD, AutoCAD does not know anything about login or logout. AutoCAD looks into the registry if the user already has a local AutoCAD-profile, if not it will be created (including all files in the user-folder you showed), if the registry looks like the AutoCAD profile was already created AutoCAD assumes the files exist.

The primary chance you have now:

a) avoid the files get deleted at logout

b) if you don't need to save each users customizations you might delete the files but in that case you also have to delete the registry content of the AutoCAD profile

...both are handled by Windows.

Additional workarounds:

c) work with server based profiles

d) use login scripts copying AutoCAD users-files from a basic setting somewhere at the server

e) use a script file to start AutoACAD (that does the file copy process before it starts AutoCAD, well: only copy if files do not exist)

- alfred -

[EDIT] btw: why is education done on that old releases? [/EDIT]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 4
H.Hoogendam
in reply to: H.Hoogendam

No they are deleted when the same user log into the computer the second time, 100% sure NOT whebn he logs out.

I have monitored this closely.

If you talking about the user profiles, they are roaming so they are alreay server based making a local copy of it and only updates changes.

AutoCad is a local installed program and for some reason files are deleted, very odd.

Thursday I will use file and process explorer to see if I can cap the problem. I'm also 100% sure we don't delete those files so I am veryu curious which program does Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 4

Hi,

>> No they are deleted when the same user log into the computer the second time, [...]

>> [...] user profiles, they are roaming so they are alreay server based[...]

Then the windows profile sync does not work, either when logoff the new created user-files are not copied to the server based profile (so these files are then deleted from the local drive as the server does not see them as content) or while login the sync-process thinks "to many files locally".

At least, at the time the login happens AutoCAD is not active at all, so it does not delete anything at this state.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost