AutoCAD 2004/2005/2006

Distinguished Contributor
annw2
Message 1 of 7 (596 Views)
Accepted Solution

Windows 7 2004 - need pdf driver?

596 Views, 6 Replies
01-11-2012 04:18 AM

Trying out new machine Windows 7 64 bit.

Works well so far up to the plotting of pdf files from 2004.

I could have sworn it worked once, now it just seems to be locking up.

Does anyone have advice for plotting pdf files from 2004?

Do we need to purchase a separate Adobe package?

Previous computer had separate Adobe, but disks were lost.

Anyone know which version?

Ann Wingert, P.E.
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 7 (591 Views)

Re: Windows 7 2004 - need pdf driver?

01-11-2012 10:56 AM in reply to: annw2

You need a PDF driver installed in Windows, whether it is Win7 or WinXP: free ones all over the internet, as well as cheap ones, and expensive ones. Try a Google Search and explore.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
annw2
Message 3 of 7 (586 Views)

01-12-2012 02:50 AM in reply to: pendean

Can you be a little more specific please?

I'm not exactly sure what to Google and I am hesitent to download a "FREE PDF driver"  The last thing I want is a Trojan horse.  I was hoping for a more official site.  I tried the Adobe site and didn't get far before I had to leave for a meeting.  I could find all kinds of info on buying their new high end packages.

Ann Wingert, P.E.
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 4 of 7 (584 Views)

01-12-2012 05:16 AM in reply to: annw2

OMG as my teen says all the time when I blurt out 'old people' statements like that :smileyhappy:

Are you sure your new PC did not come with a free PDF driver? HP and others bundle them now, unless you went bargain basement with your purchase.

There is no built-in PDF driver in R2004: if you want one, you need to get one and install it in Windows 7. Get a real paid-for anti-virus software package with real-time active scanning installed on your PC, it will set up and add safety settings to your webbrowser and scan all your downloads, then you can use Google to seek out either free or paid PDF drivers to use. You will get an "official" site to acquire the PDF driver, free or paid versions.

And yes, for +$500 Adobe will sell you Adobe Acrobat X Pro, just have a credit card available and visit their online store.

Consider converting to DWF if you remain hesitant to join the world of PDF: built into R2004 through R2012 and works fine. Autodesk's official site has a download for that at http://www.autodesk.com/dwf

annw2
Message 5 of 7 (581 Views)

01-12-2012 04:36 PM in reply to: pendean

I think we are getting close here.

Windows 7 did seem to come with a pdf driver, but 2004 doesn't seem to like it.  I could have sworn it worked once, then starting locking up when plotting.  It works fine with the later versions. (At least last time I tried.)  I am trying to figure out if I need to do something special here just for AutoCAD 2004.  Similar to HPCONFIG.

Yes, we went through the Dell scratch & dent outlet site.  My boss doesn't buy computers any other way.  We have the Norton 360.  Hopefully that doesn't cause problems.

Adobe Acrobat Pro. - Now I know what to ask for.  On the old computer, our IT guru had installed SOMETHING special to get the GOOD pdf plots.  We never could figure out what it was.  (It got lost.)  I now need to convince boss to spend half again what he paid for the computer to get the better driver or convince the rest of the staff that 2009 on isn't that scary.  Or try to find 'free' equivalent. I wonder how many billable hours will be lost to the search for 'free' stuff this time?

We currently use pdf all the time so we aren't scared of it.  I've never tried the DWF.  What are the pro's and con's?

Ann Wingert, P.E.
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 6 of 7 (576 Views)

01-13-2012 12:56 PM in reply to: annw2

R2004 is too old to take advantage of generating DWFx files in newer versions (no viewer needed to view them in Windows Vista and Win7), so you are limited to PDF in that regard and probably not going to drift too far away from it.

Your Boss likes to save in the short term and pay for it in the long term: it's very common. Nothing wrong with the Dell Outlet store BTW.

I suspect in the time it has taken to respond and continue this thread you could have downloaded and tested a half dozen PDF drivers so far and most likely picked the first or second one you tried :smileyhappy:

annw2
Message 7 of 7 (570 Views)

01-15-2012 07:46 AM in reply to: pendean

Thank you for clarifying.  We will try playing around with the systems and see what we can do.

Ann Wingert, P.E.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube