AutoCAD 2004/2005/2006

*Ian A. White
Message 1 of 7 (25,900 Views)

Using AutoCAD 2006 on Windows 7 (64 bit)

25900 Views, 6 Replies
05-13-2010 04:19 PM
G'day,

I am looking at upgrading my laptop however the majority of ones I am
looking at come with 4 GB of RAM and Windows 7 (64 bit) to make use of
it.

Now I know that AutoCAD 2006 is not certified to run under Windows 7
(let alone the 64 bit version of anything), but I have read there is a
XP mode in Windows 7 and want to know if it can run in that mode?

Anyone had experience with this? The only way around this would be to
get the 32 bit version however I would still have to pay for the extra
1 GB RAM as they are not willing to alter the factory supplied
hardware configuration.

Thanks.

--

Regards,

Ian A. White, CPEng.

| /| / WAI Engineering
| /_| / Sydney 2000
|/ |/ Australia

www.wai.com.au

mailto:ianwhite@wai.com.au

callto://waiwhite on Skype
*Dean Saadallah
Message 2 of 7 (25,900 Views)

Re: Using AutoCAD 2006 on Windows 7 (64 bit)

05-14-2010 06:42 AM in reply to: *Ian A. White
Short of buying a crippled "netbook", Win7 needs the room and 4Gig is
considered average.

Windows7Pro or higher required to get XP compatibility mode to run older
software: explore the topic at Microsoft's website.

--
Dean Saadallah
http://LTisACAD.blogspot.com
--
coatza1
Message 3 of 7 (25,260 Views)

10-12-2010 02:58 PM in reply to: *Ian A. White

necesito el autocad 2006 para 64 bits,

Valued Contributor
SrealMcCoy
Message 4 of 7 (23,967 Views)

01-25-2011 03:21 PM in reply to: *Ian A. White

My experience:

Civil Series 2004 and LDT2004 (Running the Acad2004 engine) installed with no problems under my Windows 7 64bit Home edition with NO XP mode and works just great. But, if you try to install Civil 3d 2008 or LDT 2008 then under Windows 7 64 bit, then you get the 'This is a 32 bit Acad. It cannot be installed on a 64-bit Windows.'  What a scam!  What you have to do to install the 2008 product is go through the whole rigamarole of paying to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional (or Ultimate) to get Windows XP Mode, then download and intall Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC (And be prepared to experience problems with the downloads from Microsoft, took me a bunch of tries just to get the installs to save to my computer...) then install 2008 under a Windows XP Mode session.  What a pain, and when all is said and done my LDT2008 runs excruciatingly slow.

I'm not sure if 2006 goes the way of 2004(No XP Mode required) or the way of 2008 (XP Mode required).

OK... Rant On:

But then again making life difficult seems par for the course for Adesk... Unless that is you want to buy the lates version of your CAD platform and put it on perpetual subscription.  Which then causes a whole host of issues if your clients refuse to upgrade to the latest and greatest.

Rant Off... Please return to your previously scheduled troubleshooting.

Patrick

Contributor
vthubbard
Message 5 of 7 (22,465 Views)

04-14-2011 06:13 AM in reply to: SrealMcCoy

I cannot tell you the frustration i feel with AutoDesk, this is ridiculous:

I thought i'd done due diligence in researching our ability to install Civil 3d 2009 on a new Windows 7 64bit machine. It turns out it can't be done (or i couldn't get it to work). Granted, i'm not an expert and didn't fully know what i was getting into, but it wasn't obvious how difficult this would be.

After many hours and attempted work-arounds I finally was able to get up and running in XP mode. Be warned: Operating AutoCAD in Windows XP mode is PAINFUL.

Do you care to hear the ways?

*many commands take 45 seconds to engage

*the mouse pointer is stuck to the cross hairs

*moving and dragging is like watching slow motion animation

*networked support file connections get severed often

WARNING: FOR AUTOCAD TO OPERATE IN THE WINDOWS 7/ 64 BIT ENVIRONMENT YOU MUST PURCHASE OR UPGRADE TO 2011 OR LATER RELEASES.

Adam

*Pro
ampster
Message 6 of 7 (21,957 Views)

05-10-2011 10:33 AM in reply to: vthubbard
dshelley
Message 7 of 7 (16,850 Views)

01-11-2012 08:51 AM in reply to: *Ian A. White

Hi All,

Just weighing in on the discussion regarding AutoCAD 2006 and Windows 7-64. AutoCAD 2006 WILL work natively on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit as I have been using it that way for several months. There are numerous reasons where you may encounter problems, however. For example, on my machine (Dell Precision T5500 with 24GB RAM and NVIDIA Quadro FX3800) there's no problem at all. Everything works just as it did under Windows XP 32-bit. However, there are several others in my office that use Dell Optiplex machines or Dell laptops with Intel graphics adapters and they have problems. In a few of those cases, only the preview window won't work on the File, Open dialog box. In one case, however, when the operator clicks on the folder browse drop-down object in the File, Open dialog box, AutoCAD crashes with an Unhandled Access Violation Writing 0x0014 Exception and so on. I've not been able to isolate why his machine crashes AutoCAD whereas it works on others. I suspect it is related to the video driver issue, or maybe somehow related to the .NET framework, etc. By the way, we're using network licensing and I have AutoCAD SP2 installed on all machines.

The point is, it could be a myriad of strange things, even seemingly unrelated, that cause problems.Video drivers, operating system versions (Home vs. Professional), Microsoft updates, conflicting software (i.e. anti-virus software, etc.) can all make a difference in a person's experience. It's important to include much of this info when posting problems.

Another tip:

One thing I ALWAYS do for sure on every installation of AutoCAD 2006 is to disable the digital signature checking! That can cause all sorts of problems on network connections or browsing speed, particular when viewing folders with thousands of AutoCAD files, especially when compression is used. To turn it off in Windows XP, simply typing ACSIGNOPT on the command prompt should open a dialog box where you can uncheck the option to validate digital signatures. In Windows 7-64 I had to navigate to the following folder within a command prompt:  

C:\WINDOWS\SYSWOW64\ACSIGNOPT.EXE

as it's not in the default path. Once you make this change, log out of Windows and sign back in. That might help those with sluggish behavious on the network. This really makes a difference if the server is allowed to compress the files. We delibately asked our IT person to change the server settings to prevent Windows server from compressing the files in our drawing vault as there are a few thousand files in there.

Drew

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube