Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support File Search Path Configuration

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
jklingler
426 Views, 6 Replies

Support File Search Path Configuration

I need to configure AutoCAD 2004 to allow me to have seperate Search Path configurations to allow me to point to different folders that contain blocks of the same name but they are different drawing content.  I have two different production facilities that i need to support from one computer. Any ideas?

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Charles_Shade
in reply to: jklingler

You can add as many Search Paths that you want to AutoCAD. OPTIONS, Files Tab, Support path tree.

But my question would be: How will the program know that these same named Blocks are not the same when Inserted into the Drawing?

I do think I am missing your question though.

Message 3 of 7
jklingler
in reply to: Charles_Shade

The thought is that I can draw for both plant locations from one computer. The problem is that we have such different products in both locations that we have had separate engineering offices. Now we are trying to have one office draw for both. The problem is we have years of blocks at each Engineering office and I am afraid to merge them into one folder because of duplication. I really need to have a second install of AutoCAD 2004 on my machine so I can point each install to different places.
Message 4 of 7
Charles_Shade

How about creating two desktop icons for CAD labeled Plant A and Plant B and then have a specific Profile load for each?

I'm an LT User so this is a huge guess that Profiles can do that. Help says Support Paths can be profile specific.

Would be a quick way to have seperate instances of the program. You would just need to be sure you were in the right one at the right time.

There must a switch that can be added to the Target of the Icon that will load a specific Profile.

Message 5 of 7
AllenJessup

@Charles_Shade wrote:

How about creating two desktop icons for CAD labeled Plant A and Plant B and then have a specific Profile load for each?

Looks right to me. If both locations are in the search path at the same time. AutoCAD will just find the one that is higher in the list. By separating them using the Start Icons and specifying the profile you can avoid this

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
Charles_Shade

Tool Palettes may also be a way to keep your content separate in one session of CAD. These can be created in ADCENTER with a Right Click and some dragging of Blocks. Might be easiest way to get to that content.

And it has been pointed out to me that you can change Profiles while in a CAD session.

Message 7 of 7
jklingler

Thanks for all the help. I believe I have it working now. Thanks again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost