AutoCAD 2004/2005/2006

Message 1 of 6 (151 Views)

Standard text and Dims

151 Views, 5 Replies
10-01-2009 06:43 AM
I have a problem when bringing in other disiplines shop drawings. I have narrowed it down to this. They are changing their Standard font and Dimension styles, These adjustments that they make to these do not carry over to my file. (It seems that the standard cannot be overwritten) Is there a way around this?

Thanks,
John
*Pro
Message 2 of 6 (151 Views)

Re: Standard text and Dims

10-02-2009 08:24 AM in reply to: jshaner
Are you saying your definition of standard does not match theirs? I'd say if you prefer yours, create a duplicate with another name, and make a sample. Place a copy of the sample in the offending drawing, select all objects, then in properties wherever you find text objects (even inside dimensions), override the text style with yours of the other name. Taking it further, you could put it on a palette...
I hope my info was useful, but if by some odd chance it actually solved your issue, feel free to mark your post as "Accept as Solution". Thanks! :smileyhappy:
*Pro
Message 3 of 6 (151 Views)

10-02-2009 08:25 AM in reply to: jshaner
...unless of course 2006 doesn't have palettes :-P
I hope my info was useful, but if by some odd chance it actually solved your issue, feel free to mark your post as "Accept as Solution". Thanks! :smileyhappy:
Distinguished Contributor
Message 4 of 6 (151 Views)

10-02-2009 08:29 AM in reply to: jshaner
but as it does you were right in the first place :smileywink:
----------------------------------------------
Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so
Message 5 of 6 (151 Views)

10-02-2009 08:38 AM in reply to: jshaner
Maybe I wasn't 100% clear so I will try to explain it a little better. I recieve alot of files from other people. They adjust their standard Dimesions and Standard text to what they think looks good to them. I want to keep the same look on my file (I basically I cut an paste all of their model and paperspace items into my file) After i do that the dims and text are all different. I am under the impression that I cannot drag in the Standard dims and Stardard text via design Center as it will not bring in a duplicate. I have been changeing all of my text and dim formating to match theirs but this is painstaking and time consming, so if anyone knows of a better way I woouild appreciate any input.

Thanks,
John
*Dean Saadallah
Message 6 of 6 (151 Views)

10-02-2009 09:18 AM in reply to: jshaner
AutoCAD rule #1: the settings of the file you are in govern over all content
you bring in.

So for example, if they use a text Style called SPECIAL, make sure you do
not have the same text style defined in your file, calls yours something
else, remove it from your file, then you can simply drag and drop. Same with
Dimstyles, Layers, linetypes, block names and more.

Now, if you all call everything STANDARD, then one of you is going to have a
lot of work to do for free to get over it by renaming one set of files
constantly. There is no quick fix for that low level of inefficiency in the
program.

--
Dean Saadallah
http://LTisACAD.blogspot.com
--

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you interested in helping shape the Autodesk Community?
We’re looking at a few different ways to improve the “All Forums” landing page and need your feedback! If interested, please take a few minutes to fill out the following Usability Study. Thank you for your time!

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube