Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running AutoCAD 2004 on ThinkPad Tablet 2 W/ Windows 8 PRO

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
mbedee
2383 Views, 5 Replies

Running AutoCAD 2004 on ThinkPad Tablet 2 W/ Windows 8 PRO

Would it be possible to use AutoCAD 2004 on a ThinkPad Tablet 2 W/ Windows 8 PRO? The system requirements of the ThinkPad Tablet exceed the requirements for AutoCAD 2004. With a wireless keyboard/mouse attached, would the tablet function properly with AutoCAD 2004 running? I would only be doing 2D linework for residential houses/light commercial projects.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Charles_Shade
in reply to: mbedee

Welcome to the Autodesk Forums!

Load it up and try. AutoCAD 2004 is a very old software for a new OS and is not designed to work in that environment.

It may work fine but then again you may jump through many hoops to get it to do so.

There is a third party software called Longbow that many here have used to get old software to work on newer OS's. Search the Forums for other thoughts on that and Google for the software.

Good luck!

Message 3 of 6
mbedee
in reply to: Charles_Shade

I am running 2002 on a Vista machine now. Looking to upgrade computer and
wanted to see if ThinkPad Tablet running Windows Pro would run it since it
had minimal system requirements compared to today's standard. Want to be
mobile and work remotely w/o large laptop and use dock when at home. What
would make it not work?
Message 4 of 6
pendean

I think you are missign the point of the reply above: AutoCAD 2002 (and 2004) was created wen not even a single line of code was written for Windows 8. They are no designed for each other / no one will ever try and make them compatible.

If you need 2002/2004, you need to find a Windows 8 PC to test and confirm your old software will run on it. It's the best answer. In Windows 7 many users find a 3rd party tool called LONGBOW helped make it work there and it might work in Win8.

Good luck.
Message 5 of 6
maplemariner

Mebedee,

Have you had a chance to load Auto CAD?  I too have a ThinkPad Tablet 2.  I would like to install CAD as well.  I find the tablet will "Time Out" if there is a lot of graphics resources being used.  I am curious how it does with 3D drafting.  I am also curious about this Longbow software as the don't have a demo.

Message 6 of 6
braudpat

Hello

An other solution to run ANY OLD ACAD 2000-2008 software without surprise !

1) Get from somebody a VMWare (Ready to Run) with Windows 2000+SP4 and 1.0/1.5/2.0 Gb Ram assigned

2) Run this VMWare with VMPlayer ...

Bye, Pat

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost