AutoCAD 2004/2005/2006

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 11 of 16 (108 Views)

Re: R14 dwg causing R2006 to crash

01-03-2012 07:11 AM in reply to: JFWall

your file contained many errors: RECOVER command in R2012 found a few hundred, it would appear the paperspace area was the issue and the file contained many 3rd party content that I was able to purge afterwards.

I think I remembered to save it down to R2004 format: see attached.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Contributor
JFWall
Message 12 of 16 (103 Views)

01-04-2012 05:57 AM in reply to: pendean

Thank you for your efforts however when I load the "fixed" drawing in R2011 or R14 it generates in model space but as soon as I try any command I get a fatal error and it crashes.  I did a recover in R2011 and that seemed to do the trick and now I can load and work on it.  But the exact cause of this problem still remains an unknown and other drawings are causing the same problem.  And these are drawings that appear to have very little in common with each other and that makes finding the cause that much more difficult.   What I need to do is find out specifically what the issue is so I can remove it from future drawings.

As a matter of course I always do an audit on drawings I send to other people... just in case, but that doesn't seam to get rid of the culprit.

Any other thoughts. 

Regards

and Happy New Years to every one 

John

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 13 of 16 (100 Views)

01-04-2012 02:35 PM in reply to: JFWall

Why are you working in R14? That would seem to be the common problem/thread here.

Contributor
JFWall
Message 14 of 16 (96 Views)

01-04-2012 05:50 PM in reply to: pendean

Because it does everything they needed it to do and upgrading offered no advantage at all.  Several of the companies that are presently working in R2006  who are experiencing these compatibility problems with these couple of R14 drawings just recently went full time using R2006.  Most of their drawings were produced in R14.  I know many companies who did not find it necessary to upgrade  as 'if it aint broke don't fix it".  They still work with R14 with no desire to upgrade.  I was under the impression that Autodesk produced a product that could talk to all other versions but that apparently is not the case.

But this is not a discussion relevant to the problem at hand.  We have been working extremely well with the all of the other AutoCAD versions.  This crash problem just started last month with a couple of R14 drawings and it is the first time we have ever encountered this.  For the past 15 years we have had no issues working back and forth until now and I would like to isolate the problem as it is very annoying with all the extra time and energy going into making the drawings work with other versions.

We had a similar problem with a 2009 drawing file that when converted to R14 would always crash.  Someone on this board went into the drawing file and determined it was a third party hatch pattern that continually cause a fatal error in R14.  Once it was removed and never used again... life was good and work went smoothly.

If there is something in the R14 drawing file that causes R2006 and R2007 to crash, I would like to find it as we did in that R2009 drawing file, remove it and get on with work.   

Any help in that regard would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

John

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 15 of 16 (92 Views)

01-05-2012 05:25 AM in reply to: JFWall

I don't care much about why others justify their software usage, it's a free world and they can do whatever they want.

>>>...I have a colleague who cannot load my R14 dwg. He works in 2006 and my dwg is R14...<<<

Your posts made it appear as though you were using all these many versions and that is what I was questioning.

>>>...problem just started last month with a couple of R14 drawings and it is the first time we have ever encountered this...<<<

Since I was able to open and use the file in R2012 after fixing it (but you had issues with it for some reason), I would also suspect that about a month or so ago when your troubles started when the R14 file introduced 3rd party content, similar to the one and only other problem you found.

Your corrupt file also opened just fine after repair in two other non-Autodesk CAD programs, and I was able to save and open in R2012.

We have legacy files back to R9 (and a whole generation of R14 files) and we still access with no issues so far, so that last statement is correct, barring any user input from other sources, AutoCAD seems very capable of opening legacy files just fine.

Contributor
JFWall
Message 16 of 16 (90 Views)

01-05-2012 07:10 AM in reply to: pendean

I had suspicions that it was a third party piece of "something" that has been causing this issue.  I just don't know how to find it and remove it.  I am still working on it through the process of elimination but it is a slow tedious method and If anyone knows of any shortcuts to help find the culprit I would appreciate the input.

Thank you Pendean for your help so far.  I hope I can pin this down soon as it is a real pain in the butt.

Regards

John

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube