AutoCAD 2004/2005/2006

tcalrk050682
Message 1 of 13 (231 Views)

Express Tools Prob

231 Views, 12 Replies
03-11-2013 12:45 PM

I get an error when opening drawings files "**express tools** unable to load acetutil.arx". This seemed to be a resonable common problem when I first started to trouble shoot this until all the solutions did not work. I am running Windows 7 and autocad 2006. It is a brand new computer and I was not having this problem the other day. Recently installed DWG Viewer if that could have anything to do with it. I tried the common solutions:

-type expressmenu

-reinstall the expresstools

-reload the cui

-load the arx manually (which does sort of work, more below)

-add the arx to your startup suite

None of which fix the problem. Somehow or another after the drawing is already open, I can load the ARX file and this file called "acettest.fas" and the expresstools work as normal. Have to load those 2 files otherwise it won't work. Think I really just stubled on this. It is not a fix though since I need to do this every fresh start of autocad. Even more wierd is, if I double click a file from my computer and not the server, I do not run into this prob. Furthermore, if I right click and open a file as opposed to double clicking, even on the servers files, I do not run into this problem period. Very very wierd. Can't make any sense of it but it is what it is. My goal is to be able to doubleclick and open a file either on the server or my pc to open like the rest of the world, without running into this error. I feel pretty confident that I have tried everything that is in any forum. Any thoughts?

*Expert Elite*
Patchy
Message 2 of 13 (215 Views)

Re: Express Tools Prob

03-11-2013 08:35 PM in reply to: tcalrk050682

1st of all, 2006 is old and it's not compatible with Win 7

Did you add support path to the Express Folder?

tcalrk050682
Message 3 of 13 (207 Views)

03-12-2013 05:52 AM in reply to: Patchy

Well aware 2006 is old. Unfortunately it does not change the fact that this is what I have, nor do I have the option to upgrade at this time.

Up until a few days ago, I did not have this problem at all. Recent changes I have made include installation of DWG TrueView, Photoshop and Indesign CS3 and Acrobat 8 (which also gave me some probs). So although it is not supported, it was running fine, and honestly is running fine minus the little problem I am having.

Yes the Express folder is in my Support File Search Path. I have even tried to move it to the top, restarting ACAD and all as well. With the awkward problem I have outlined in the first posting, I don't think this will be a simple answer.

Thanks,

Tim

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 4 of 13 (206 Views)

03-12-2013 05:53 AM in reply to: tcalrk050682

If it used to work on the same PC then stopped one day, the first thing to always try is a Windows System Restore back to a day or week when everything worked: if it's system related Windows will gladly tell you what got added so you can avoid it in the future.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
tcalrk050682
Message 5 of 13 (204 Views)

03-12-2013 06:01 AM in reply to: pendean

I agree that would be a good direction to go. The setback is that I do not have the disks for the additional software on my computer as mentioned above, so if I step back to that it may fix the prob but I lose the other software. The software situation is complicated. I feel there is a solution independant of wiping everything out and reinstalling. Or hoping at least. I did actually uninstall and reinstall ACAD. Ran into a different problem where I couldn't double click anything to open. Totally different error message. Though similar to my current situation, I could right click to open files. I decided to do a system restore to the point before I uninstalled ACAD so it came back to the current prob I am having.

Thanks,

Tim

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 6 of 13 (200 Views)

03-12-2013 06:15 AM in reply to: tcalrk050682

You seem to be having a lot of "problems" with all sorts of software and installation: not sure you are trying to fix them all corectly vs. simply putting a bandage on and hoping it will self-heal. Good luck with your chosen path, post back as you try things and your results whether they work or not. Wait for others to dive in with more tips.

tcalrk050682
Message 7 of 13 (198 Views)

03-12-2013 06:37 AM in reply to: pendean

Just to be clear, I have one problem with one software. ACAD 2006. The problem is the Error message above. Only occurs on double clicking DWG files to open them. Does not occur on a right click open or opening internal to ACAD. Can't make sense of it. It is a small prob but rather annoying. Double clicking should open files corrrectly plain and simple. Just like anyone, I don't like having to do things differently for this and another way for that. I'd really like to understand what the difference is between right click opening vs double click opening. One would think they are the same. Apparently not.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 8 of 13 (193 Views)

03-12-2013 08:19 AM in reply to: tcalrk050682

It is frustrating indeed: I totally understand. But, as you stated previously, it worked once and now it does not: almost always (there are exceptions but exceptions are rare) this is due to added software/patches/updates content and a simple reinstall of AutoCAD is often not sufficient to remove the offending culprit. A System Restore usually is the best option.

You've done so much to this PC it's time to get back to ground-zero IMHO. It could be as simple as another profile is running when you open files a certain way (with no ETs), or running more than one instance of AutoCAD. Sadly we can't see what's going on your PC from here, so we can only suggest things for you to try and keep trying.

Keep at it, you're not observing something that may be the clue someone needs over here to help you further. Keep trying.

tcalrk050682
Message 9 of 13 (187 Views)

03-12-2013 09:18 AM in reply to: pendean

Thanks you for your help. It is much appreciated. I understand the ground zeron concept and am firm believer in the approach. I just unfortunately don't have the luxury of trying that.

I am really curious of why the ARX file does not load on a double click open and does on a right click open. It was leading me to believe it might be a windows thing and how windows communicated to autocad upon opening a DWG.  I was also thinking the install of DWG viewer may have impacted windows understanding of how to handle DWG files. It's all specualtion. I could try an uninstall of the DWG Viewer and see what results I get. If I open autocad, and not through a file opening, everything loads fine, and every file opened after that opens fine as well. The problem lies with the initial opening of autocad through double clicking a file. Just plain wierd.

Thanks again.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 10 of 13 (182 Views)

03-12-2013 10:30 AM in reply to: tcalrk050682

AFAIK Express Tools installs as a startup to any AutoCAD Profile it finds during the installation of ET: when you change profiles (or run other AutoCAD programs that were not detected when ET was installed) you must reload (or reinstall for the other versions of AutoCAD that were added).

I wonder if you are running a different AutoCAD profile when you open files through Widnows Explorer (I assume that's what you mean by double-click)?

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube