Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't open file

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
sarcoguy
649 Views, 2 Replies

Can't open file

Hello. I use older versions of AutoCAD at work (14, 2002 and 2004) along with more recent versions of Autodesk TrueView (2010 & 2014).

A client has sent me a .dxf file (not sure what program was used to generate it). I can open it in the viewer, however, I cannot open it in any of the full versions of AutoCAD that I have. When I try to, this error message appears in the command line:

Unknown value "AC1021" encountered in drawing version.
Invalid or incomplete DXF input -- drawing discarded.

I can open it in TrueView, but that does me no good because I cannot manipulate it, only view it. The client even saved it in AutoCAD2007 format, with the same result.

Any idea what's going on here and how to fix it? 

thanks in advance...
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
pendean
in reply to: sarcoguy

Newer format DXF files, like newer format DWG files, are not accessible in older versions of AutoCAD. AC1021 is AutoCAD 2007 format. you don't have that, remember?

Ask them to save it down to R2004 or R2000 or R14 or R12 DXF format and see if that helps.
Message 3 of 3
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: pendean

@pendean wrote:
....Ask them to save it down to R2004 or ....

Since you have DWG TrueView, that also has the ability to convert it to any of several earlier formats for you [DWG Convert, the icon with the little pages and a red pointer triangle in the 2013 version I have].

Kent Cooper, AIA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost