Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCad 2004 and Widows 7 or 8

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
ronaldseto
5053 Views, 6 Replies

AutoCad 2004 and Widows 7 or 8

I know this question has been asked many times, but none of the answers seem to help. I have been using ACad 2004 on a Windows XP machine for many years and never had a problem. I have no intention or upgrading to a newer ACad as I am retired and living on a fixed income. Knowing that MS is going to stop supporting Windows XP some time in 2014, what choices do I have re: Windows operating systems. I've read 32 bit and 64 bit and XP mode, etc. I really don't understand what is happening. ACad 2004 works perfectly for my needs and along with XP, I'm a happy camper. Please advise how I can deal with the inevitable. I know Autodesk doesn't like questions like mine as I am not a potential new customer. They tend to ignore the concerns of those with older ACad versions. It's only the actual users that I can go to for help.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
pendean
in reply to: ronaldseto

Here is the reality: no one out there (Autodesk/Microsoft etc.) is working on any way to get 2004 to work in Win7 or Win8. No one cares enough to not like your question since it's not a task anyone is working on or having to deal with that's all.

So, your choices are to explore this forum where you post ended up and see what others are doing (seems to work for many with Win7 just fine) or look into acquiring a third party 'tool' that does something unique behind the scenes called Longbow Converter (google it), or look into free CAD software that works with modern Operating Systems or buying a more current AutoCAD. Your choices are plenty my friend and the solutions are not secret, they are all out there for the world to see and find. help yourself.
Message 3 of 7
ronaldseto
in reply to: pendean

In my OP, I stated that upgrading to a newer version of ACad is not an option. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of users out there with similar concerns. A windows upgrade is beyond my control, but if there is a way to keep my trusty ACad 2004, I need to know.

Message 4 of 7
pendean

Reread my reply, second paragraph: 2-ways to keep R2004 are listed, but you need to search for them yourself:

1. Search this forum where we are both posting for how others got it to work.
2. Look for that add-on to Windows.

You can do it.
Message 5 of 7
nestly2

As Dean said, It seems possible to run ACAD2004 on Win7.  If you're happy with your current setup, run it until the wheels fall of, and then deal with at that time... or upgrade your computer/OS now so you have time to work out any bugs before getting in a bind.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

I have installed Autocad 2004 on both Windows 7 & 8, 64 bit machines without any problems. It installed natively without any added "modes". On Windows 8, the touch screen is a fun tool that works with Autocad2004.

Message 7 of 7

download

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost