AutoCAD 2000/2000i/2002 Archive (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Object selection within a BLOCK

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
gregy
129 Views, 6 Replies

Object selection within a BLOCK

I have a block with multiple items. If any of the items are off the screen and I window the rest, I get the whole block! Whats the setting to prevent this?
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: gregy

If it is a BLOCK, then all the pieces stay together: a feature of the entity
type. Perhaps to need to free those entities from their block prison with
EXPLODE command? But then, they are no longer a block.

--
Dean Saadallah
Add-on products for LT
http://www.pendean.com/lt
--
Message 3 of 7
gregy

I dont want to free them. I thought when you "window" left to right you must get the entire object inside the window. Not the case if some of the block is off the screen. (not contiguous) Someone here accidently erased some blocks this way. I have never seen this before but sure enough I get it to do this on my puter also...any ideas?
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

What I think you are saying with your second post: when you use Window
selection method, instead of Crossing Window selection, you are experiencing
it acting as though you invoked a Crossing Window. This is typical behavior
in AutoCAD, if while in a Window selection mode, you drag the window up to
the edge of your visible screen.
The trick is not to get that close: try panning or zooming out slightly to
avoid it.

--
Dean Saadallah
Add-on products for LT
http://www.pendean.com/lt
--
Message 5 of 7
TheJoker

I am so awfully sorry but there's no way around. If you select any (visible) item of a block you select the whole block. That's why it is so hard to take home an iceberg: there's lots more underneath! If you need to delete only a part of a certain block you have to explode the block, delete the unwanted objects and (if wanted) reblock the remaining items. If this problem occurs quite often consider creating a block that exists of blocks. Therefore, if you explode a block, it won't become all rubbish but seperate and easy to select (and delete or move) blocks.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

This selection of the whole block when only part of it is selected has proven to be a REAL problem for me. I deal with Site Plans, where a survey has been inserted. In addition to buildings, trees, roads, these surveys will have elevation points. If I have zoomed way in to work, and I use the "window selection" to erase some objects, I have to be very careful and insure that there isn't one of those elevation points on the screen, because, as I have found out TOO often, I will accidentally erase the whole survey. I remember way back in AutoCAD 10 or so, that there was a setting that adjusted whether the window selection could pick an object that wasn't wholely displayed. Does anyone remember that? Is there still such a setting? As to such extent as is not contraindicated by federal, state, county, municipal, and/or any regulatory entities, then, I, myself, my heirs, successors, and/or assigns will gratefully appreciate in advance any help along these lines - thank - Klyph
Message 7 of 7
old-cadaver

Lock the layer the survey is on.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report