AutoCAD 2000/2000i/2002 Archive (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error message when starting acad2002 as user

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
133 Views, 5 Replies

Error message when starting acad2002 as user

Error message is :
Failed to update the system registry. Please try using REGEDIT.
Operating system is WinXP Pro, local install of acad2002.

I've read insupport you need to make users administrators or power users on the client PCs... this is not an option in an academic environment.

Is there any way round this, or is it pretty much cosmetic?

D.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

If your are using a domain.  Just add the
"domain user" group to the local machines "power user" group.  That should
solve your problem.

--

Dave Gardner

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Error
message is :
Failed to update the system registry. Please try using
REGEDIT.
Operating system is WinXP Pro, local install of acad2002.

I've read insupport you need to make users administrators or power users on
the client PCs... this is not an option in an academic environment.

Is there any way round this, or is it pretty much cosmetic?

D.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

Unfortunately we are not using a domain. Authentication to the network is handled through Novell's client login, to Novell servers.

Is it possible to open up rights to specific regeistry keys and files to resolvwe this?

D.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Hi,

you can edit the registrypermissions using
regedt32. The correct keys the user needs to write to are:

style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New (W1)'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: FI; mso-fareast-language: EN-GB; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New (W1)'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: FI; mso-fareast-language: EN-GB; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">and

style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New (W1)'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: FI; mso-fareast-language: EN-GB; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">
face=Arial size=2>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Autodesk

style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New (W1)'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: FI; mso-fareast-language: EN-GB; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">
face=Arial size=2>

face=Arial size=2>HTH

face=Arial size=2>

face=Arial size=2>Petri Ahava

face=Arial size=2>CAD-Q Finland

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Unfortunately
we are not using a domain. Authentication to the network is handled through
Novell's client login, to Novell servers.

Is it possible to open up rights to specific regeistry keys and files to
resolvwe this?

D.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

I am going through this now with win2k acadr2k2 and
a domain. My question is, Is that the only Key that needs be given write
access for ever? Or will more keys need to be changed if say you put a
vertical app on top of acad2k2 or for database connectivity or for adding
extensions and so forth? Also, I heard that you will negate autodesk support if
you are not a power user and you have changed the registry. I am meeting with
the IT department today @ 11:00 and will discuss adding domain user to the local
power user group.

I need 0.02 worth from anyone who has
input.

T.I.A.

Ed

"Lurker"

Hi,

you can edit the registrypermissions using
regedt32. The correct keys the user needs to write to are:

style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New (W1)'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: FI; mso-fareast-language: EN-GB; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New (W1)'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: FI; mso-fareast-language: EN-GB; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">and

face=Arial size=2>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Autodesk

face=Arial size=2>

face=Arial size=2>HTH

face=Arial size=2>

face=Arial size=2>Petri Ahava

face=Arial size=2>CAD-Q Finland

Unfortunately
we are not using a domain. Authentication to the network is handled through
Novell's client login, to Novell servers.

Is it possible to open up rights to specific regeistry keys and files to
resolvwe this?

D.

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Hi,

as Petri's message is absolutely correct, you should never need other keys
than those 2 keys ...

Usually a regular & well designed software ONLY needs access to those keys
at installation time ...
but Autodesk (as so often) igfnores good programming style !!

At Acad startup, they permanently re-assign keys from HKEY_CLASES_ROOT,
and also some settings from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

All Autodesk software is always located under the main key
"...\Software\Autodesk" in both HLEY_LOCAL_MACHINE & HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
Most popular Third-Party-software will need access to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE at
installation time, so you may not encounter further problems ...

Because that Registry problem exists since R2000, I'm just waiting, that
Autodesk will change its strategy sometime - but it doesn't look this way; I
have also never heard anything about the reasons
for that uncommon behaviour (against Microsofts guidelines !! but Acad have
the logo !?) by Autodesk ....

Best regards
Torsten Moses

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report