AutoCAD 2000/2000i/2002 Archive (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing with no Errors

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
aimav
418 Views, 8 Replies

Closing with no Errors

I have a user that is having a problem with AutoCAD.  He had a "new" computer a couple of months ago, dual core, 4gig, 512mb gfx card.  He didn't have any problems for weeks until last week when his AC started closing on him.  It happens randomly but always when he has objects selected and he is moving them.  I hesitate to use the word 'crash', although it is crashing, simply because it doesn't hang or freeze or slowdown.  It literally just closes the window and any open drawings with no error messages or warning.

I'm going to try a repair on the installation, but I'd rather avoid a reinstall due to pain that activation is now it's not automated.  It seems I have to justify why 'user has a computer upgrade' is a good reason to re-activate 😕

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
pendean
in reply to: aimav

What changes last week on the user's PC? That's your culprit.

Message 3 of 9
aimav
in reply to: pendean

The user tells me there was a Windows update just before it started happening.  Otherwise there were no changes to the system.  User can't install programs or even insert a USB key without permission.

Is it worth doing a total reinstall rather than a repair?  Or should I go back and see if I can remove the update?

Message 4 of 9
pendean

I would try a repair reinstall first.

Then a full uninstall and reinstall: but you need to back up all the user's customizations first.

Message 5 of 9
aimav

On futher investigation, it seems to be only parts of the drawnings that is causing AutoCAD to crash.  Most objects can be moved with no problems.  Oddly it does seem to be a combination of items that causes the problem.  I can move a box and some text seperatly no problems, but as soon as you try and move them together it crashes!

Message 6 of 9
pendean

Worth testing: grab the free DWGTRUEVIEW rpogram from Autodesk and use the 'EXPORT" feature to convert objects not supported by the user's AutoCAD version back to basic AutoCAD entities. Then have them try it and see if the problem goes away.

Message 7 of 9
aimav

I'll get him to try it.

Is it worth running the purge and audit commands on the drawing?

Message 8 of 9
pendean

Always.

Message 9 of 9
aimav

Well, thanks for your help.  I've narrowed it down to a part of the file that seems to be corrupt.  For some reason my user doesn't feel he is capable of running the commands... but ah well.

Thanks for your help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report