AutoCAD 2000/2000i/2002 Archive (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I run AutoCAD 2000 on Windows 7

44 REPLIES 44
SOLVED
Message 1 of 45
jdoverman
150624 Views, 44 Replies

Can I run AutoCAD 2000 on Windows 7

Hi all,
I am new to this discussion group and need help.
I am still using my AutoCAD 2000.
I just upgraded to a new computer with Windows 7.
Is there a workaround. Can I change the compatability settings to get AutoCAD 2000 to work?

Thank you,

Jeff
44 REPLIES 44
Message 2 of 45
amandamae9642
in reply to: jdoverman

I'm sure it will work fine. I'm using AutoCAD 2000 on Windows Vista with no problems.
Message 3 of 45
jdoverman

Information to help you load and run AutoCAD 2000 on your Windows 7 (64bit) system.
I had to upgrade from Windows 7 Home edition to Windows & professional ($90.00)
Then I downloded Windows virtual PC and Windows XP Mode (free download). The Windows XP Mode runs in the background (in its own window). I loaded AutoCAD 2000 Architectural Desktop from my software CD. As I was doing this I had to go to the program compatibility (start-programs-accessories-program compatibility - pick 'from C D drive') I changed the compatibility to windows 98/ me.

I was glad to have found this so I don't have to spend $1000 to $5000 to upgrade AitoCAD.

Also I have a driver that lets me run my HP 750c+ plotter on Windows 7 - 64bit if you need that.

Good Luck.

Jeff
Message 4 of 45
kll1970

Jeff,
I have a new PC coming in a couple days and will need to do this same process. Thanks for sharing the instructions you provided! Any links you can share? I'm especially interested in the HP 750C driver as I'm using that plotter as well...what a workhorse!!! Thanks again for sharing your experience on this thread. It's really helpful!
Katrina
Message 5 of 45
robertdepminc

Just encountered a problem running CAD2000 on XP in a brand new computer with Windows 7 professional. The center of the crosshairs are blocked by the selection arrow or panning "hand" all the time, making the most basic function - selecting objects - very difficult. If anyone has any suggestions on correcting this... it would be appreciated!!!
Message 6 of 45
gsb028

I am also having this problem in XP Mode, please note a resolution. the problem "The center of the crosshairs are blocked by the selection arrow or panning "hand" all the time, making the most basic function - selecting objects - very difficult. If anyone has any suggestions on correcting this... it would be appreciated!!!" Edited by: gsb028 on Mar 20, 2010 9:14 PM
Message 7 of 45
alexismalex

Does anyone out there has directions on how to get around the compatibility issues between AutoCAD2000 and Windows7?
I just replaced my old computer with one with windows7 and I have not been able to install my old AutoCAD2000.
If you can help with this issue, please email at ismalex@hotmail.com

Thanks,
Alex
Message 8 of 45
mrmind69

a solution...
install either VMware (free version) not their full Workstaion or the Sun Java Virtual Box and create a virtual Hard disk/Operating System with your old OS and load your copy of AutoCAD 2000 into the virtual environment. When set up correctly you can access all the files on your HD from the virtual OS.

Only issues are that you have enough PC memory and you set the virtual HD/PC settings to run big software. You may need **2Gb of memory minimum so you can have Windows 7 running and the Virtual OS (Win95,98,Me,2000 or XP) with AutoCAD running within it.

** checked an old AutoCAD 2000 trial CD and it says 64Mb RAM needed so should be OK with 1Gb of RAM
Message 9 of 45
mrmind69

update to above post...

Just tried to load my old Trial 2000 disk into a VM and it says it needs Win95 or Win98 - it would not install on a XP Pro OS running in a Virtual machine.

With Win 7 run a copy of VMWare or Virtual Box with Win98 as the OS and you can use AutoCAD 2000
Message 10 of 45
godonzilla

So have you succeeded in installing AutoCad2000 on windows7 using a virtual Window XP and following all the instructions above? Is it running smoothly. I may have to do the same and I wanted to know if it works before I actually try and buy a new computer. Thanks.
Message 11 of 45

I am currently running AutoCad2010 on windows 7.  I have been searching for a driver for my HP750c plotter.  I have tried the windows Vista 64 bit driver with no results.  Does anyone have a driver that will work for me.

Thank you,

Steve

Message 12 of 45
pendean
in reply to: SteveFinhill1643

There is none: use Win7's Add Printer wizard (windows control panel) and see if one is included in Win7 to use, or try the HDI driver found inside AutoCAD (plottermanager command).

Message 13 of 45
SteveFinhill1643
in reply to: pendean

Now I feel real dumb.  It was user error.  I had set the plotter at LPT1 instead of LPT2.  The driver from Windows Vista 64 bit worked fine with no problems.  I now can use my old HP750c without a hitch.

Message 14 of 45
bodenimus

I am experiencing the same problem. My os was Windows xp but my computer crashed and now I am using windows 7. When I try to load my software it says "not compatible". I have tried to change the compatibility but still no luck. Can you explain again what I need to do to be able to run the software. Apparently I am using a 64 bit system.

Message 15 of 45
Modman_4
in reply to: bodenimus

Just for the halibut I installed 2000 on my 32-bit Win7 machine and it works okay -- no XP emulation needed.

I hope my info was useful, but if by some odd chance it actually solved your issue, feel free to mark your post as "Accept as Solution". Thanks! 🙂
Message 16 of 45
the.grandpoohbah
in reply to: Modman_4

I recently got a new laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit installed on it, and finally got around to trying to install AutoCAD 2000 on it.  Here's what I know...

AutoCAD 2000 wouldn't install from the CD, due to some compatibility issues, between the installer and the 64 bit OS.

I did some searching and found a thread about the same issue with Vista, where someone said they had just copied the AutoCAD folder and system files, so I gave it a try.

I tried a few different things, and this is what I think it takes...

Copy the XP c:\Program Files\ACAD2000 folder  to Win7 c:\Program Files (x86)\ACAD2000

Copy the files in XP c:\Windows\System  to Win7 c:\Windows\System

I also copied the folder XP c:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared  to Win7 c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files

but found that Acad.exe wouldn't run because it couldn't find the .dll files in the Autodesk Shared folder.

So, I simply copied all the files in the Autodesk Shared folder into the ACAD2000 folder, where the Acad.exe is, and it worked:>)

There are still issues I haven't tried to resolve yet, like some of the commands don't work and are shown as 'unknown', but I am able to start the program and at least do something with it.

I will try to figure out the other problems later, when I have time, and of course I will uninstall the proram from my old computer as soon as I get the new one to work.:>)

Message 17 of 45

Thank you very much for your reply. Here is what I have found out after several sessions with both Microsoft and Hewlett Packard. I am running Windows 7 Premium on my HP computer. Per Microsoft sessions, Windows Home Premium  will not run Auto Cad 2000 without complications ( as you mentioned, some things work, some don't ) but by upgrading to Windows Professional, your problems are solved. providing your computer is up to it. Now per HP sessions, the computer I bought is not set up for office applications. By this I mean anything other than home use such as checking email, internet browsing, playing cards, etc. Apparently Auto Cad 2000 is considered as office software, not home software therefore it still will not run on my computer. This is 100% my fault for not doing the proper research. Now, here is the good news. According to Microsoft, you can download software called virtual PC ( by the way this is free). Then download free software called XP Mode. Now this will allow you to run XP on your Windows 7 operating system. But this will only operate with Windows 7 Professional or Windows 7 Ultimate, not Windows 7 Home Premium. The upgrade to the Professional edition it $89.95 from Microsoft. There is a video demonstration on Microsofts web site that will explain how this works and how to install it. All of this information is the result of several sessions with both Microsoft and Hewlett Packard.  The representative from HP ( an American by the way) told me it was not worth the headaches I will encounter without upgrading my computer and Windows 7 Professional. I apologize for taking up so much room and time, but I tried to relay all of the information I have gathered to try to relieve some of the problems for someone else

Message 18 of 45

I was able to load Acad 2000 onto my new dell desktop. But I can't seem to plot to my HP DJ430. There does not seem to be a driver available. The new os is Windows 7 home addition 64 bit. Any solutions would be most appreciated.

Message 19 of 45

You might try looking for a copy of Windows Vista 64 bit.  The driver for my HP750C worked with Windows 7.  It might work for your design jet also.

Message 20 of 45
cw1255
in reply to: SteveFinhill1643

I installed ACADLT 2000 on a Win7 Professional 32 bit box.

It seems to be working so far except printing.  I had a HPLJ HL-1320 attached to an XP SP3 (professional) box.  Acad couldn't see the printer or any of my other networked printers (Win7 drivers aren't installed on the print server (W2003 Server) yet.

I tried attaching the HL-1320 to the Win7 box, and ACAD would see the printer, but would give a memory error when I tried to select it.  It would then disappear from the selection till I restarted ACAD.

Just FYI for now.

Cliff

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report