AutoCAD 2000/2000i/2002 Archive

Reply
*Abbott, Morris
Message 1 of 8 (95 Views)

CDRW Files are always Read Only

95 Views, 7 Replies
01-12-2002 08:29 AM
Hi,

I am having trouble trying to work with files stored on CDRW. I am using
Autocad2000 with a HP9100 CD Rewriter.

If i create a new drawing then i can save it to the RW disc no problem.
However, next time i open the file Autocad displays the file as being
Read-Only, and thus will not allow me to save it again. I have checked the
file properties in Windows explorer and the windows read-only attribute is
not set.

If i copy the file from the RW disk to my harddisc and open the copy i have
no problems. It would appear that it is impossible to work directly from a
CDRW disk.

Is this a known Autocad2000 problem and if so is there a fix?

Thanks in advance

Morris
*Jones, Dave
Message 2 of 8 (95 Views)

Re: CDRW Files are always Read Only

01-12-2002 08:29 AM in reply to: *Abbott, Morris
kinda gives you the idea that maybe you shouldn't be working on drawings
directly from a CD doesn't it :smileyhappy:
Dave
"Morris Abbott" wrote in message
news:1010852925.30364.0@eurus.uk.clara.net...
> Hi,
>
> I am having trouble trying to work with files stored on CDRW. I am using
> Autocad2000 with a HP9100 CD Rewriter.
>
> If i create a new drawing then i can save it to the RW disc no problem.
> However, next time i open the file Autocad displays the file as being
> Read-Only, and thus will not allow me to save it again. I have checked the
> file properties in Windows explorer and the windows read-only attribute is
> not set.
>
> If i copy the file from the RW disk to my harddisc and open the copy i
have
> no problems. It would appear that it is impossible to work directly from a
> CDRW disk.
>
> Is this a known Autocad2000 problem and if so is there a fix?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Morris
>
>
*McSwain, R.K.
Message 3 of 8 (95 Views)

Re:

01-12-2002 08:29 AM in reply to: *Abbott, Morris
Exactly. You should only read and write the drawing file while it resides on
the hard drive. When you are finished, copy it to the CDRW. If you need to
modify it again, copy it back to hard drive.

"Dave Jones" wrote in message
news:u411gv2bova166@corp.supernews.com...
> kinda gives you the idea that maybe you shouldn't be working on drawings
> directly from a CD doesn't it :smileyhappy:
> Dave
> "Morris Abbott" wrote in message
> news:1010852925.30364.0@eurus.uk.clara.net...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am having trouble trying to work with files stored on CDRW. I am using
> > Autocad2000 with a HP9100 CD Rewriter.
> >
> > If i create a new drawing then i can save it to the RW disc no problem.
> > However, next time i open the file Autocad displays the file as being
> > Read-Only, and thus will not allow me to save it again. I have checked
the
> > file properties in Windows explorer and the windows read-only attribute
is
> > not set.
> >
> > If i copy the file from the RW disk to my harddisc and open the copy i
> have
> > no problems. It would appear that it is impossible to work directly from
a
> > CDRW disk.
> >
> > Is this a known Autocad2000 problem and if so is there a fix?
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > Morris
> >
> >
>
>
*Saadallah, Dean
Message 4 of 8 (95 Views)

Re:

01-12-2002 10:59 AM in reply to: *Abbott, Morris
CDR/CDRW Files are always Read Only: it has always been true,
just the way the technology is. Might want to ask SONY for help
on that one.

If you want true writing capabilities, you need to look at
external HD or solid disks, like:
http://www.iomega.com/zip/index.html
http://www.iomega.com/jaz/index.html
http://www.iomega.com/peerless/index.html
http://www.maxtor.com/products/ExternalStorage/3000XT/default.htm
http://www.lacie.com/products/product.cfm?id=4A8676C5-54C8-11D5-9
7C60090278D3ED0
http://www.lacie.com/products/product.cfm?id=4A867720-54C8-11D5-9
7C60090278D3ED0
http://www.pcconnection.com/scripts/productdetail.asp?product_id=
221828
http://www.pcconnection.com/scripts/productdetail.asp?product_id=
226843

--
Dean Saadallah
www.pendean.com
---
"R.K. McSwain" wrote in message
news:A2552711E847972C95659E6A970EA7DA@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Exactly. You should only read and write the drawing file while
it resides on
> the hard drive. When you are finished, copy it to the CDRW. If
you need to
> modify it again, copy it back to hard drive.
>
> "Dave Jones" wrote in message
> news:u411gv2bova166@corp.supernews.com...
> > kinda gives you the idea that maybe you shouldn't be working
on drawings
> > directly from a CD doesn't it :smileyhappy:
> > Dave
> > "Morris Abbott" wrote
in message
> > news:1010852925.30364.0@eurus.uk.clara.net...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am having trouble trying to work with files stored on
CDRW. I am using
> > > Autocad2000 with a HP9100 CD Rewriter.
> > >
> > > If i create a new drawing then i can save it to the RW disc
no problem.
> > > However, next time i open the file Autocad displays the
file as being
> > > Read-Only, and thus will not allow me to save it again. I
have checked
> the
> > > file properties in Windows explorer and the windows
read-only attribute
> is
> > > not set.
> > >
> > > If i copy the file from the RW disk to my harddisc and open
the copy i
> > have
> > > no problems. It would appear that it is impossible to work
directly from
> a
> > > CDRW disk.
> > >
> > > Is this a known Autocad2000 problem and if so is there a
fix?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance
> > >
> > > Morris
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>
*NIELSEN, Andrew
Message 5 of 8 (95 Views)

Re: CDRW Files are always Read Only

01-12-2002 08:44 PM in reply to: *Abbott, Morris
You are right Morris

A CDROM drive with read write capabilities is driven thru software. It is
not a device in that it is not directly accessed for writing thru the
operating system. Therefore acad cannot be expected to know to run the
software to do a save. Use your local hard drive to save to and write to the
disk later if required.


Andy ;o)>


"Morris Abbott" wrote in message
news:1010852925.30364.0@eurus.uk.clara.net...
> Hi,
>
> I am having trouble trying to work with files stored on CDRW. I am using
> Autocad2000 with a HP9100 CD Rewriter.
>
> If i create a new drawing then i can save it to the RW disc no problem.
> However, next time i open the file Autocad displays the file as being
> Read-Only, and thus will not allow me to save it again. I have checked the
> file properties in Windows explorer and the windows read-only attribute is
> not set.
>
> If i copy the file from the RW disk to my harddisc and open the copy i
have
> no problems. It would appear that it is impossible to work directly from a
> CDRW disk.
>
> Is this a known Autocad2000 problem and if so is there a fix?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Morris
>
>
*McSwain, R.K.
Message 6 of 8 (95 Views)

Re:

01-12-2002 09:21 PM in reply to: *Abbott, Morris
I assume you are replying to Morris, not me?

"Dean Saadallah" wrote in message
news:smileyvery-happy:E398FDE7388D8DCD1678C989B1DC23D@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> CDR/CDRW Files are always Read Only: it has always been true,
> just the way the technology is. Might want to ask SONY for help
> on that one.
*khaver
Message 7 of 8 (95 Views)

Re:

01-14-2002 06:07 AM in reply to: *Abbott, Morris
"Dean Saadallah" wrote in message
news:smileyvery-happy:E398FDE7388D8DCD1678C989B1DC23D@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> CDR/CDRW Files are always Read Only: it has always been true,
> just the way the technology is. Might want to ask SONY for help
> on that one.

If you use something like DirectCD you can use your CDRW like a slowwww
harddrive. Wouldn't recommend working on a drawing from it though because
of the slowness.

Gary
*Saadallah, Dean
Message 8 of 8 (95 Views)

Re:

01-14-2002 10:59 AM in reply to: *Abbott, Morris
Of course.... .

--
Dean Saadallah
www.pendean.com


"R.K. McSwain" wrote in message
news:F3EA47E9C23ED4F62373BD4AB70D9B98@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> I assume you are replying to Morris, not me?
>
> "Dean Saadallah" wrote in message
> news:smileyvery-happy:E398FDE7388D8DCD1678C989B1DC23D@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > CDR/CDRW Files are always Read Only: it has always been true,
> > just the way the technology is. Might want to ask SONY for help
> > on that one.
>
>
>

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community




Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube