AutoCAD 2000/2000i/2002 Archive (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best version of AutoCAD on limited budget?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
AMTaylor1980
799 Views, 1 Reply

Best version of AutoCAD on limited budget?

I started with Autocad back in junior high with r.11 and have used 13, 13LT, 14, 2000 & assorted desktops, 2007 LT & 2009 LT (now).   I'm trying to prove to my boss that we need to join the 21st century and use 3D software instead of 2D software.  I'm so convinced it will reduced our turnaround time on erection drawings and shop tickets that I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is - but I can only afford to gamble a couple hundred dollars to hopefully prove my point. 

I've found full versions of 2000 on eBay for around a $100-200.  Does this seem like a reasonable price and will 2000 work on a Vista system? Or should I just get a student release of a newer full version (only about $30 on eBay) just to prove my point? My plan is to recreate a job we just completed on my own time, log the time it takes, and compare it to the actual job hours.  I'm leaning toward 2000 because its what I used in college and still have all my textbooks for reference.  I'd love to hear some opinions on what I should do!

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
steven-g
in reply to: AMTaylor1980

Don't gamble your own money, go for the latest release and get the demo version. If you can't turn around a few samples in 30 days then how long will this take you. Have a word with the boss first and see if he is open for the idea of updating the software, if you can prove to him it will improve productivity, if his answer is not encouraging then it's not even worth doing, it is not always about production times and many companies refuse to change what is working now. And if he says ok, then make a proper presentation showing what you can improve giving time and cost comparisons showing clearly both methods, and put it on paper so he can take it away and look at it without needing to ask questions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report