AutoCAD 2000/2000i/2002 Archive (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad 2000i circle tang to line and point of circ circum pass thru an int

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
batkerson
4445 Views, 5 Replies

Autocad 2000i circle tang to line and point of circ circum pass thru an int

I am trying to draw a radius between 2 points and can't get it to come out correctly.  I have used Google to search and found something that comes close but does not guarantee my radius.

I have a vertical line at a 5° angle and below that and to the left I have and interesction of a horisontal line and a vertical line.  I would like a .030 radius tangent to the 5° line and the circumference of the circle passing through the intersection of the vertical and other horizontal line.

This is what I found in my search but it does not give me the desired radius when I put dimensions to it...

Circle > 3p > ENDP of line > NODE of point > TANG of line

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Brent Atkerson

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
dennymac
in reply to: batkerson

Your attachment shows a circle with a diameter of .03 and a radius of .015.  But if you will draw a circle with the correct desired radius at the intersection of the 2 lines and then draw a line perpendicular to the 5 degree angled line, and then extend it to the circle, you will have a good start. next array the line 90 degrees CW.  Next move the circle from the RH intersection of the line and circle left to the 5 degree angled line.  Next trim the circle using the arrayed line.  Next move the lower end of the arc to the short horizontal line.  Lastly, trim the arc using the RH angled line.  Best of luck.  DennyMac

Message 3 of 6
batkerson
in reply to: dennymac

Dennymac,

While I appreciate the help, and I am sure that it will work, that is the easiest way to do it?  Just seems to me this would be a basic operation of a cad system and as such would have an easier way...

Message 4 of 6
dennymac

You are correct about there being an easier way.  I thought about it a bit and this is easier.  First, offset the 5 degree angled line towards the horizontal line a distance that is equal to the end radius that you want.  Second, draw a circle with a radius that is the same as the end radius you want using the left end point of the horizontal line where you want the arc to end as your center.  Next, draw a circle using the intersection of the arc and the offset line through the endpoint of the horizontal line, or tangent to the angled line.  Finally, trim as necessary.  AutoCAD 2000 is still basically a simple program, and you are placing an unusual restraint wanting the circle to go through a particular point.  Not that it is an invalid request, just one that the software does not address specifically.  Best of Luck. DennyMac

Message 5 of 6
batkerson

Dennymac,

That worked PERFECT.  I was on the right track, just didn't think it through enough.  I appreciate your help!

Message 6 of 6
cadking2k5

rotate the circle 5 from the bottom quardrant

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report