AutoCAD 2000/2000i/2002 Archive

Reply
*Wright, Martin
Message 1 of 6 (72 Views)

AutoCAD 2000i shuts down!

72 Views, 5 Replies
04-29-2001 01:24 PM
I have experienced a number of strange occurances with AutoCAD 2000i.
A user has left an AutoCAD session and when arriced back at their work
station the AutoCAD sesion has clossed itself.
When doing a saveas AutoCAD has closed with no error messages.
When saving a cad file AutoCAD reports that someone else has opened the cad
file and so has chnged my session to read only.

We are running AutoCAD 2000i on NT 4.0 SP6 workstations with Win2K servers.
The "savesas" problem has been experinced when running AutoCAD 2000i on the
Win2k server. This error consitently repeats itself. It is not possible to
repeat the other problems on demand.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Martin Wright
*Wills, David
Message 2 of 6 (72 Views)

Re: AutoCAD 2000i shuts down!

04-29-2001 04:55 PM in reply to: *Wright, Martin
I was just this minute looking through some drawings when I heard my
computer behind me go "ping." When I turned around Acad 2000i had crashed
with a Fatal Exception while doing an autosave. It did allow me to save
where I was at, but I guess in a different set of circumstances, it may have
crashed back to Windows without my knowing it. I have sometimes come back
to my computer after being in a meeting for a while and wonder who had shut
down my AutoCAD... Maybe there is a timeout function that is buggy and
causes premature shutdown and/or a crash. Autodesk engineers, any answers
as to why your exceptionally expensive software seems to conduct itself in
an erratic manner, such as this? Mmmmm?

David Wills

"Martin Wright" wrote in message
news:E1D37803620DF18E399022524C9567F4@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> I have experienced a number of strange occurances with AutoCAD 2000i.
> A user has left an AutoCAD session and when arriced back at their work
> station the AutoCAD sesion has clossed itself.
> When doing a saveas AutoCAD has closed with no error messages.
> When saving a cad file AutoCAD reports that someone else has opened the
cad
> file and so has chnged my session to read only.
>
> We are running AutoCAD 2000i on NT 4.0 SP6 workstations with Win2K
servers.
> The "savesas" problem has been experinced when running AutoCAD 2000i on
the
> Win2k server. This error consitently repeats itself. It is not possible to
> repeat the other problems on demand.
>
> Any suggestions?
> Thanks
> Martin Wright
>
*Gilmer, Tom
Message 3 of 6 (72 Views)

Re:

04-29-2001 09:35 PM in reply to: *Wright, Martin
So, for the obvious questions - do you have a virus scanner running? Do
you have a screen saver active? Is the workstation on a network?

- Tom

"David Wills" wrote in message
news:32BF29FA1DB80FD5D5F06819245999FB@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> I was just this minute looking through some drawings when I heard my
> computer behind me go "ping." When I turned around Acad 2000i had
crashed
> with a Fatal Exception while doing an autosave. It did allow me to
save
> where I was at, but I guess in a different set of circumstances, it
may have
> crashed back to Windows without my knowing it. I have sometimes come
back
> to my computer after being in a meeting for a while and wonder who had
shut
> down my AutoCAD... Maybe there is a timeout function that is buggy
and
> causes premature shutdown and/or a crash. Autodesk engineers, any
answers
> as to why your exceptionally expensive software seems to conduct
itself in
> an erratic manner, such as this? Mmmmm?
>
> David Wills
*Wright, Martin
Message 4 of 6 (72 Views)

Re:

04-30-2001 09:18 AM in reply to: *Wright, Martin
Virus scanner Yes
Screen saver No
Network Yes

"Tom Gilmer" wrote in message
news:0F61E8E83899597C1C52B542438742A3@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> So, for the obvious questions - do you have a virus scanner running? Do
> you have a screen saver active? Is the workstation on a network?
>
> - Tom
>
> "David Wills" wrote in message
> news:32BF29FA1DB80FD5D5F06819245999FB@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > I was just this minute looking through some drawings when I heard my
> > computer behind me go "ping." When I turned around Acad 2000i had
> crashed
> > with a Fatal Exception while doing an autosave. It did allow me to
> save
> > where I was at, but I guess in a different set of circumstances, it
> may have
> > crashed back to Windows without my knowing it. I have sometimes come
> back
> > to my computer after being in a meeting for a while and wonder who had
> shut
> > down my AutoCAD... Maybe there is a timeout function that is buggy
> and
> > causes premature shutdown and/or a crash. Autodesk engineers, any
> answers
> > as to why your exceptionally expensive software seems to conduct
> itself in
> > an erratic manner, such as this? Mmmmm?
> >
> > David Wills
>
*Gilmer, Tom
Message 5 of 6 (72 Views)

Re:

04-30-2001 09:43 PM in reply to: *Wright, Martin
Disable the virus scanner and see if the problems go away. Also, go to

http://support01.autodesk.com/ViewKnowledgeBase.asp

and click on the Browse/Search tab. Enter virus in the optional
box. In particular, read TS21533.

Finally, if the virus scanner was running when 2i was installed, you may
have to completely remove and reinstall 2i with the virus scanner
DISABLED. In fact, the installation instructions for most software will
specifically tell you to disable any virus protection before starting
the install.

I have McAfee 5.0 installed on internet enabled workstations. I enable
email and internet download scanning and disable ALL system scans except
for floppy disk access. We have no problems with this setup.

- Tom

"Martin Wright" wrote in message
news:AA4174210C6572449A1BA90F3C79C29A@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Virus scanner Yes
> Screen saver No
> Network Yes
*Wright, Martin
Message 6 of 6 (72 Views)

Re:

05-01-2001 07:27 AM in reply to: *Wright, Martin
Problem solved
(arxunlaod"whohas") does the trick.
Thanks
Martin

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community




Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube