AutoCAD 2000/2000i/2002 Archive

Reply
*Hurley, Shaan
Message 1 of 19 (100 Views)

AIA Standards

100 Views, 18 Replies
05-24-1999 11:08 AM
Ed,

I am forwarding one your way via email. It was created by Robert Grandmaison
in R14.

Cheers,

Shaan Hurley
Autodesk Beta Programs

Edward G. Leaders wrote in message <7ic1vk$9461@adesknews2.autodesk.com>...
>This may seem like a foolish question, but I'm gonna ask it anyway.
>
>Does anybody out there have a single drawing that has ALL of the possible
>layer names on it, that are currently supported by the AIA standard??
>
>If so, could you e-mail me a copy?
>
>Thanks
>
>
>
>--
>Ed Leaders
>Champion International Paper
>Sartell, MN USA
>leadee@champint.com
>
>
>
*Grandmaison, Robert
Message 2 of 19 (100 Views)

Re: AIA Standards

05-24-1999 11:36 AM in reply to: *Hurley, Shaan
Hey, I was gonna send it to him! ; )

Cheers,

Robert Grandmaison

BTW: Why don't you post it to the customer files NG Shaan?

Shaan Hurley wrote:

> Ed,
>
> I am forwarding one your way via email. It was created by Robert Grandmaison
> in R14.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Shaan Hurley
> Autodesk Beta Programs
>
> Edward G. Leaders wrote in message <7ic1vk$9461@adesknews2.autodesk.com>...
> >This may seem like a foolish question, but I'm gonna ask it anyway.
> >
> >Does anybody out there have a single drawing that has ALL of the possible
> >layer names on it, that are currently supported by the AIA standard??
> >
> >If so, could you e-mail me a copy?
> >
> >Thanks
> >
> >
> >
> >--
> >Ed Leaders
> >Champion International Paper
> >Sartell, MN USA
> >leadee@champint.com
> >
> >
> >
*Hurley, Shaan
Message 3 of 19 (100 Views)

Re:

05-24-1999 11:42 AM in reply to: *Hurley, Shaan
Excellent idea Robert. I will post it there for everyone.

Cheers,

Shaan Hurley
Autodesk Beta Programs

Robert Grandmaison wrote in message <37499C29.12F34BF8@mkmassociates.com>...
>Hey, I was gonna send it to him! ; )
>
>Cheers,
>
>Robert Grandmaison
>
>BTW: Why don't you post it to the customer files NG Shaan?
>
*Tanzillo, Tony
Message 4 of 19 (100 Views)

Re: AIA Standards

05-24-1999 12:38 PM in reply to: *Hurley, Shaan
I don't know if it has them all, but if you download
LAYORG.ZIP from the customer-files newsgroup, it will
display a tree view that contains over a thosand layers
from the original AIA layer standard.

Edward G. Leaders wrote:
>
> This may seem like a foolish question, but I'm gonna ask it anyway.
>
> Does anybody out there have a single drawing that has ALL of the possible
> layer names on it, that are currently supported by the AIA standard??
>
> If so, could you e-mail me a copy?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Ed Leaders
> Champion International Paper
> Sartell, MN USA
> leadee@champint.com

--
/*********************************************************/
/* Tony Tanzillo Design Automation Consulting */
/* Programming & Customization for AutoCAD & Compatibles */
/* ----------------------------------------------------- */
/* tony.tanzillo@worldnet.att.net */
/* http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/tonyt */
/*********************************************************/
*McDonough, Mark
Message 5 of 19 (100 Views)

Re:

05-25-1999 08:23 PM in reply to: *Hurley, Shaan
Tony Tanzillo wrote in message <3749AABA.3E5954D3@worldnet.att.net>...
>I don't know if it has them all, but if you download
>LAYORG.ZIP from the customer-files newsgroup, it will
>display a tree view that contains over a thosand layers
>from the original AIA layer standard.

1000? We adapted the original AIA layer standards into our own
implementation of the standard, utilizing "layer groups". No drawing ever
has more that a couple dozen layers based on such a grouping scheme. I
never counted the # of layers in the AIA standard, but "over a thousand
layers" sounds insane to me. The AIA standard has officially changed
recently, although our firm has flat out rejected the change, which goes to
variable-length layer names, whereas the previous system of fixed-length
layer names, modifiers, prefixes and suffixes, etc., all seemed to make
sense. The new "less structured" format doesn't make any sense at all.

I see no reason for over 1000 layers except perhaps for the terminally anal
(many Architects are included here, myself included!).

Mark McDonough
antennaria@aol.com
*Harder, Brian
Message 6 of 19 (100 Views)

Re:

05-26-1999 08:04 AM in reply to: *Hurley, Shaan
I may be completely wrong here, but I think that the AIA layering scheme is
as much a methodology, as it is a once and for list of layers. You could in
fact use only a dozen layers, and still be in complience with the AIA layer
scheme, or, if you really needed more, (hope I never work at a firm that
uses 1000 layers), you could create completely unique layers, that still
conform to the AIA layer naming convention.

--
Brian Harder
President
Professional AutoCAD User's Group
http://www.paug.org

Mark McDonough wrote in message <7ifp4a$h5u14@adesknews2.autodesk.com>...
>Tony Tanzillo wrote in message <3749AABA.3E5954D3@worldnet.att.net>...
>>I don't know if it has them all, but if you download
>>LAYORG.ZIP from the customer-files newsgroup, it will
>>display a tree view that contains over a thosand layers
>>from the original AIA layer standard.
>
>1000? We adapted the original AIA layer standards into our own
>implementation of the standard, utilizing "layer groups". No drawing ever
>has more that a couple dozen layers based on such a grouping scheme. I
>never counted the # of layers in the AIA standard, but "over a thousand
>layers" sounds insane to me. The AIA standard has officially changed
>recently, although our firm has flat out rejected the change, which goes to
>variable-length layer names, whereas the previous system of fixed-length
>layer names, modifiers, prefixes and suffixes, etc., all seemed to make
>sense. The new "less structured" format doesn't make any sense at all.
>
>I see no reason for over 1000 layers except perhaps for the terminally anal
>(many Architects are included here, myself included!).
>
>Mark McDonough
>antennaria@aol.com
>
>
>
*Tanzillo, Tony
Message 7 of 19 (100 Views)

Re:

05-27-1999 12:57 AM in reply to: *Hurley, Shaan
Mark - Do you understand the difference beween a drawing
with 'over 1000 layers', and a layer standard that uses
a naming convention that can have an unlimited number of
layers, depending on the level of granularity that one
wants or needs?

The fact is that rarely are there cases where even a
small fraction of the potential number of layers that
are defined by a given standard would be needed.

The number of layers one may require on a large hospital
project could approach several hundred with ease, but I
would not expect the same would be the case in a small
residential project.

Mark McDonough wrote:
>
> Tony Tanzillo wrote in message <3749AABA.3E5954D3@worldnet.att.net>...
> >I don't know if it has them all, but if you download
> >LAYORG.ZIP from the customer-files newsgroup, it will
> >display a tree view that contains over a thosand layers
> >from the original AIA layer standard.
>
> 1000? We adapted the original AIA layer standards into our own
> implementation of the standard, utilizing "layer groups". No drawing ever
> has more that a couple dozen layers based on such a grouping scheme. I
> never counted the # of layers in the AIA standard, but "over a thousand
> layers" sounds insane to me. The AIA standard has officially changed
> recently, although our firm has flat out rejected the change, which goes to
> variable-length layer names, whereas the previous system of fixed-length
> layer names, modifiers, prefixes and suffixes, etc., all seemed to make
> sense. The new "less structured" format doesn't make any sense at all.
>
> I see no reason for over 1000 layers except perhaps for the terminally anal
> (many Architects are included here, myself included!).
>
> Mark McDonough
> antennaria@aol.com

--
/*********************************************************/
/* Tony Tanzillo Design Automation Consulting */
/* Programming & Customization for AutoCAD & Compatibles */
/* ----------------------------------------------------- */
/* tony.tanzillo@worldnet.att.net */
/* http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/tonyt */
/*********************************************************/
*Tanzillo, Tony
Message 8 of 19 (100 Views)

Re:

05-27-1999 12:58 AM in reply to: *Hurley, Shaan
Exactly! It does not define a finite list of layers, only
the convention and methodology by which one goes about
naming them.

Brian Harder wrote:
>
> I may be completely wrong here, but I think that the AIA layering scheme is
> as much a methodology, as it is a once and for list of layers. You could in
> fact use only a dozen layers, and still be in complience with the AIA layer
> scheme, or, if you really needed more, (hope I never work at a firm that
> uses 1000 layers), you could create completely unique layers, that still
> conform to the AIA layer naming convention.
>

--
/*********************************************************/
/* Tony Tanzillo Design Automation Consulting */
/* Programming & Customization for AutoCAD & Compatibles */
/* ----------------------------------------------------- */
/* tony.tanzillo@worldnet.att.net */
/* http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/tonyt */
/*********************************************************/
*McDonough, Mark
Message 9 of 19 (100 Views)

Re:

05-27-1999 02:56 PM in reply to: *Hurley, Shaan
Of course I understand the difference. In part I responded to your first
message declaring that the AIA standard "view" of layers contains over a
1000. The phrase "level of granularity", as a controlling force in the
number of layers needed in any given drawing, is exactly the right point to
make. In our opinion, the level of granularity suggested by the AIA
layering scheme was way too dense or too finite, needlessly making available
too many layers. We loosely adopted a less granular view of layer usage
(translation: considerably fewer layers).

We also understand that the AIA standard puts forth a syntax or layer naming
methodology as Brian suggested, by which new layers can be created that
conform to the standard. Our adoption of a simplified AIA layering standard
does exactly this.
--
Mark McDonough
mmcdonough@sasaki.com
http://www.sasaki.com

Tony Tanzillo wrote in message
news:374CFAE6.B8D92733@worldnet.att.net...
> Mark - Do you understand the difference beween a drawing
> with 'over 1000 layers', and a layer standard that uses
> a naming convention that can have an unlimited number of
> layers, depending on the level of granularity that one
> wants or needs?
>
> The fact is that rarely are there cases where even a
> small fraction of the potential number of layers that
> are defined by a given standard would be needed.
>
> The number of layers one may require on a large hospital
> project could approach several hundred with ease, but I
> would not expect the same would be the case in a small
> residential project.
>
> Mark McDonough wrote:
> >
> > Tony Tanzillo wrote in message <3749AABA.3E5954D3@worldnet.att.net>...
> > >I don't know if it has them all, but if you download
> > >LAYORG.ZIP from the customer-files newsgroup, it will
> > >display a tree view that contains over a thosand layers
> > >from the original AIA layer standard.
> >
> > 1000? We adapted the original AIA layer standards into our own
> > implementation of the standard, utilizing "layer groups". No drawing
ever
> > has more that a couple dozen layers based on such a grouping scheme. I
> > never counted the # of layers in the AIA standard, but "over a thousand
> > layers" sounds insane to me. The AIA standard has officially changed
> > recently, although our firm has flat out rejected the change, which goes
to
> > variable-length layer names, whereas the previous system of fixed-length
> > layer names, modifiers, prefixes and suffixes, etc., all seemed to make
> > sense. The new "less structured" format doesn't make any sense at all.
> >
> > I see no reason for over 1000 layers except perhaps for the terminally
anal
> > (many Architects are included here, myself included!).
> >
> > Mark McDonough
> > antennaria@aol.com
>
> --
> /*********************************************************/
> /* Tony Tanzillo Design Automation Consulting */
> /* Programming & Customization for AutoCAD & Compatibles */
> /* ----------------------------------------------------- */
> /* tony.tanzillo@worldnet.att.net */
> /* http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/tonyt */
> /*********************************************************/
*Gesner, Rusty
Message 10 of 19 (100 Views)

Re: AIA Standards

05-31-1999 11:19 PM in reply to: *Hurley, Shaan
I view the AIA standards as a consistent and easily
decipherable scheme for layer naming this is intended to be
extensible, not all-inclusive.

"Edward G. Leaders" wrote:
>
> This may seem like a foolish question, but I'm gonna ask it anyway.
>
> Does anybody out there have a single drawing that has ALL of the possible
> layer names on it, that are currently supported by the AIA standard??
>
> If so, could you e-mail me a copy?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Ed Leaders
> Champion International Paper
> Sartell, MN USA
> leadee@champint.com

--
B. Rustin (Rusty) Gesner, AIA -- (rusty@group-a.com)
Group A -- AutoCAD Expert & Author -- http://www.group-a.com
Group Mackenzie -- CAD Manager -- (opinions expressed are
mine only)

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community




Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube