AutoCAD 2000/2000i/2002 Archive

Reply
*Puckett, Michael
Message 1 of 7 (88 Views)

2000i bug

88 Views, 6 Replies
03-29-2001 11:12 PM
Draw a line, 100000 units long

Zoom in on either end.

Set a ucs plan to the axial alignment of said line.

Draw a circle 50 unit radius, center snapped to end of the line

Extrude the circle, using the line as the path.

*Works*

Now repeat the above, using a line 101000 units long.

Extrusion creation failed.

Modeling Operation Error:
Lateral curve does not intersect to_surface.

Unable to extrude the selected object.

44% more annoyed.
*Januszkiewicz, Alex
Message 2 of 7 (88 Views)

Re: 2000i bug

03-29-2001 11:52 PM in reply to: *Puckett, Michael
Checked it: works in R14, doesn't in A2Ki
This must be programming error with AcGeTol setting (too low) in new modeler
arx when processing input curves. One more "feature".

If these tolerance "features" that kick in with larger drawing extents don't
get fixed, AutoCAD will have to stop being proud of its incredible accuracy
and we'll be limited to working in 100m cube centered at 0,0,0: WELCOME to
the Microstation Universe!

BTW: Your annoyance is unproportional. The difference between 101000 and
100000 is just 1% and it makes you 44% more annoyed :smileywink: It looks like you
will not get your conduit longer then 100 meters in one piece, Michael.

--
Alex Januszkiewicz
IntelCAD Systems / DWG Data Recovery Services
Autodesk Authorized Developer
http://www.intelcad.com
* BLITZ! - Standalone Tools For Processing DWG/DXF *
* DWF => DWG converter for AutoCAD 2000(i)*
--

"Michael Puckett" wrote in message
news:58378C355FEF771F5E6F22A272D004AA@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Draw a line, 100000 units long
>
> Zoom in on either end.
>
> Set a ucs plan to the axial alignment of said line.
>
> Draw a circle 50 unit radius, center snapped to end of the line
>
> Extrude the circle, using the line as the path.
>
> *Works*
>
> Now repeat the above, using a line 101000 units long.
>
> Extrusion creation failed.
>
> Modeling Operation Error:
> Lateral curve does not intersect to_surface.
>
> Unable to extrude the selected object.
>
> 44% more annoyed.
>
*Puckett, Michael
Message 3 of 7 (88 Views)

Re:

03-30-2001 12:01 AM in reply to: *Puckett, Michael
Actually it's underground cabling, and my annoyance is proportional to
Autodesk's claims of productivity increases for those that "upgrade" from
version 14.

Thanks AJ.

"Alex Januszkiewicz" wrote in message
news:82226B815C9BF25BE926174BFCED0E64@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Checked it: works in R14, doesn't in A2Ki
> This must be programming error with AcGeTol setting (too low) in new modeler
> arx when processing input curves. One more "feature".
>
> If these tolerance "features" that kick in with larger drawing extents don't
> get fixed, AutoCAD will have to stop being proud of its incredible accuracy
> and we'll be limited to working in 100m cube centered at 0,0,0: WELCOME to
> the Microstation Universe!
>
> BTW: Your annoyance is unproportional. The difference between 101000 and
> 100000 is just 1% and it makes you 44% more annoyed :smileywink: It looks like you
> will not get your conduit longer then 100 meters in one piece, Michael.
>
> --
> Alex Januszkiewicz
> IntelCAD Systems / DWG Data Recovery Services
> Autodesk Authorized Developer
> http://www.intelcad.com
> * BLITZ! - Standalone Tools For Processing DWG/DXF *
> * DWF => DWG converter for AutoCAD 2000(i)*
> --
>
> "Michael Puckett" wrote in message
> news:58378C355FEF771F5E6F22A272D004AA@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > Draw a line, 100000 units long
> >
> > Zoom in on either end.
> >
> > Set a ucs plan to the axial alignment of said line.
> >
> > Draw a circle 50 unit radius, center snapped to end of the line
> >
> > Extrude the circle, using the line as the path.
> >
> > *Works*
> >
> > Now repeat the above, using a line 101000 units long.
> >
> > Extrusion creation failed.
> >
> > Modeling Operation Error:
> > Lateral curve does not intersect to_surface.
> >
> > Unable to extrude the selected object.
> >
> > 44% more annoyed.
> >
>
*Hagen, Bernt R
Message 4 of 7 (88 Views)

Re:

03-30-2001 06:45 AM in reply to: *Puckett, Michael
This error is said to be caused by an ACIS flaw. Me and my customers are
often troubled with different functions related to ACIS when we operate too
far from origo in the current UCS. When the units get too high, ACIS don't
seem to like it, and causes different types of errors. Hope this is to be
corrected ASAP by a service pack or something, as it causes us a lot of
headache. Is this possible, AutoDesk? :smileywink:

--

Bernt R Hagen
Senior Application Engineer
"Michael Puckett" skrev i melding
news:E9B70929F9A1EAB71E81BBE086A7E732@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Actually it's underground cabling, and my annoyance is proportional to
> Autodesk's claims of productivity increases for those that "upgrade" from
> version 14.
>
> Thanks AJ.
>
> "Alex Januszkiewicz" wrote in message
> news:82226B815C9BF25BE926174BFCED0E64@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > Checked it: works in R14, doesn't in A2Ki
> > This must be programming error with AcGeTol setting (too low) in new
modeler
> > arx when processing input curves. One more "feature".
> >
> > If these tolerance "features" that kick in with larger drawing extents
don't
> > get fixed, AutoCAD will have to stop being proud of its incredible
accuracy
> > and we'll be limited to working in 100m cube centered at 0,0,0: WELCOME
to
> > the Microstation Universe!
> >
> > BTW: Your annoyance is unproportional. The difference between 101000 and
> > 100000 is just 1% and it makes you 44% more annoyed :smileywink: It looks like you
> > will not get your conduit longer then 100 meters in one piece, Michael.
> >
> > --
> > Alex Januszkiewicz
> > IntelCAD Systems / DWG Data Recovery Services
> > Autodesk Authorized Developer
> > http://www.intelcad.com
> > * BLITZ! - Standalone Tools For Processing DWG/DXF *
> > * DWF => DWG converter for AutoCAD 2000(i)*
> > --
> >
> > "Michael Puckett" wrote in message
> > news:58378C355FEF771F5E6F22A272D004AA@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > > Draw a line, 100000 units long
> > >
> > > Zoom in on either end.
> > >
> > > Set a ucs plan to the axial alignment of said line.
> > >
> > > Draw a circle 50 unit radius, center snapped to end of the line
> > >
> > > Extrude the circle, using the line as the path.
> > >
> > > *Works*
> > >
> > > Now repeat the above, using a line 101000 units long.
> > >
> > > Extrusion creation failed.
> > >
> > > Modeling Operation Error:
> > > Lateral curve does not intersect to_surface.
> > >
> > > Unable to extrude the selected object.
> > >
> > > 44% more annoyed.
> > >
> >
>
*Hurley, Shaan
Message 5 of 7 (88 Views)

Re:

03-30-2001 07:09 AM in reply to: *Puckett, Michael
If this is a tolerance issue the same happens on other geometry kernels not
just ACIS such as Parasolid when throwing extreme ranges at it for
computation. Much of this is due to the limitation of computing and as I
understand it, the floating point numbers range limitation when calculating
points. I am not sure this is the case but it could very well be.

Sincerely,

Shaan Hurley
Autodesk Beta Programs / Design Platforms Group
http://betaprograms.autodesk.com

"Bernt R Hagen" wrote in message
news:073E0EC9693E93FED0FFBB800B7A4AB1@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> This error is said to be caused by an ACIS flaw. Me and my customers are
> often troubled with different functions related to ACIS when we operate
too
> far from origo in the current UCS. When the units get too high, ACIS don't
> seem to like it, and causes different types of errors. Hope this is to be
> corrected ASAP by a service pack or something, as it causes us a lot of
> headache. Is this possible, AutoDesk? :smileywink:
>
> --
>
> Bernt R Hagen
> Senior Application Engineer
> "Michael Puckett" skrev i melding
> news:E9B70929F9A1EAB71E81BBE086A7E732@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > Actually it's underground cabling, and my annoyance is proportional to
> > Autodesk's claims of productivity increases for those that "upgrade"
from
> > version 14.
> >
> > Thanks AJ.
> >
> > "Alex Januszkiewicz" wrote in message
> > news:82226B815C9BF25BE926174BFCED0E64@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > > Checked it: works in R14, doesn't in A2Ki
> > > This must be programming error with AcGeTol setting (too low) in new
> modeler
> > > arx when processing input curves. One more "feature".
> > >
> > > If these tolerance "features" that kick in with larger drawing extents
> don't
> > > get fixed, AutoCAD will have to stop being proud of its incredible
> accuracy
> > > and we'll be limited to working in 100m cube centered at 0,0,0:
WELCOME
> to
> > > the Microstation Universe!
> > >
> > > BTW: Your annoyance is unproportional. The difference between 101000
and
> > > 100000 is just 1% and it makes you 44% more annoyed :smileywink: It looks like
you
> > > will not get your conduit longer then 100 meters in one piece,
Michael.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Alex Januszkiewicz
> > > IntelCAD Systems / DWG Data Recovery Services
> > > Autodesk Authorized Developer
> > > http://www.intelcad.com
> > > * BLITZ! - Standalone Tools For Processing DWG/DXF *
> > > * DWF => DWG converter for AutoCAD 2000(i)*
> > > --
> > >
> > > "Michael Puckett" wrote in message
> > > news:58378C355FEF771F5E6F22A272D004AA@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > > > Draw a line, 100000 units long
> > > >
> > > > Zoom in on either end.
> > > >
> > > > Set a ucs plan to the axial alignment of said line.
> > > >
> > > > Draw a circle 50 unit radius, center snapped to end of the line
> > > >
> > > > Extrude the circle, using the line as the path.
> > > >
> > > > *Works*
> > > >
> > > > Now repeat the above, using a line 101000 units long.
> > > >
> > > > Extrusion creation failed.
> > > >
> > > > Modeling Operation Error:
> > > > Lateral curve does not intersect to_surface.
> > > >
> > > > Unable to extrude the selected object.
> > > >
> > > > 44% more annoyed.
> > > >
> > >
> >
>
*Hurley, Shaan
Message 6 of 7 (88 Views)

Re:

03-30-2001 07:25 AM in reply to: *Puckett, Michael
Nevermind, if it was the floating point it would also effect R14. It is most
likely a tightening up on ranges or offset weirdness bug fixing that has
caused this side effect.

Sincerely,

Shaan Hurley
Autodesk Beta Programs / Design Platforms Group
http://betaprograms.autodesk.com

"Shaan Hurley" wrote in message
news:45F709939D3A519C538AFD4D71CCA030@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> If this is a tolerance issue the same happens on other geometry kernels
not
> just ACIS such as Parasolid when throwing extreme ranges at it for
> computation. Much of this is due to the limitation of computing and as I
> understand it, the floating point numbers range limitation when
calculating
> points. I am not sure this is the case but it could very well be.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Shaan Hurley
> Autodesk Beta Programs / Design Platforms Group
> http://betaprograms.autodesk.com
>
> "Bernt R Hagen" wrote in message
> news:073E0EC9693E93FED0FFBB800B7A4AB1@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > This error is said to be caused by an ACIS flaw. Me and my customers are
> > often troubled with different functions related to ACIS when we operate
> too
> > far from origo in the current UCS. When the units get too high, ACIS
don't
> > seem to like it, and causes different types of errors. Hope this is to
be
> > corrected ASAP by a service pack or something, as it causes us a lot of
> > headache. Is this possible, AutoDesk? :smileywink:
> >
> > --
> >
> > Bernt R Hagen
> > Senior Application Engineer
*Puckett, Michael
Message 7 of 7 (88 Views)

Re:

03-30-2001 08:35 AM in reply to: *Puckett, Michael
Side effect? This "side effect" is a serious problem that breaks
existing applications, that were fine in the inferior, 44% less
productive r14.

Does Autodesk intend on fixing this SERIOUS BUG, or will they fluff and
parade another service pack as a new letter release so we can be pumped
for yet another $600 (CDN)? Oh dear, did I say service pack? I meant
subscription update.

"Shaan Hurley" wrote in message
news:7D8C0A2CB3F09E262777559854A2B851@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Nevermind, if it was the floating point it would also effect R14. It
is most
> likely a tightening up on ranges or offset weirdness bug fixing that
has
> caused this side effect.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Shaan Hurley
> Autodesk Beta Programs / Design Platforms Group
> http://betaprograms.autodesk.com
>
> "Shaan Hurley" wrote in message
> news:45F709939D3A519C538AFD4D71CCA030@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > If this is a tolerance issue the same happens on other geometry
kernels
> not
> > just ACIS such as Parasolid when throwing extreme ranges at it for
> > computation. Much of this is due to the limitation of computing and
as I
> > understand it, the floating point numbers range limitation when
> calculating
> > points. I am not sure this is the case but it could very well be.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > Shaan Hurley
> > Autodesk Beta Programs / Design Platforms Group
> > http://betaprograms.autodesk.com

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community




Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube