Softimage Forum (Read Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Softimage Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Softimage topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple local transform question

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
429 Views, 2 Replies

Simple local transform question

Hi everyone, I'm new to animation so excuse the question. I'm trying to key something using its local transformation, and I transform and key it correctly, but when I play it back it starts rotating on all 3 axes, while in the Keying Panel it shows only the z axis value changing (which is the one I want). Sorry for the beginner question and thank you!
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
bujinkan02
in reply to: Anonymous

You are probably suffering of a gimbal lock issue. If the axis of your object is not align with the axis of his parent the rotation will be evaluated on multiple axis at the same time. If you want to see what you real axis is, use the add rotation mode.
If you want to solve this problem try to parent your animated object under a null in the space. Your animated object should have the local SRT coordinate at zero on all axis(except for the scaling at one obviously). But you have to take care if your object is already animated, all the animation will be evaluated in the new parent object space.So you will see your object jumping to another position.
You can also try to change the rotation order of your object, check in the local kinematics Property. Rotations are evaluated one axis at a time, first turn on X then Y and finally Z, changing this order could bring back an axis in the direction of your desired rotation, but in this case also it will change your previous animation.

Hope it helps and good luck
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks so much Bujinkan! Changing the order of the xyz for rotation did the trick! What a nightmare... But thank you again, I really appreciate the help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report