Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need ideas for an animated model including parent/child relationships

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Hydropulse17
276 Views, 2 Replies

Need ideas for an animated model including parent/child relationships

For my college course, I need to create a model including at least three parent/child relationships. 
I can't make a solar system or a kite, as the first "is everyones' first choice," and the latter being the example used by my instructor. 

I have only two ideas, the first being a catapult, where the rock is a child of the catapult. The problem with that is that there are not enough relationships. The second idea was a scorpion that was stinging something. Each component of the tail would be one step below the last in a hierarchy. The problem with that is that a scorpion is too geometrically advanced for my current skill level. The most advanced model I have made was a waterbottle. Any ideas you have would be a big help, even if you think they may be too difficult, I may be abel to think of my own based of your suggestion. 

If you suggest a model that isn't intuitive, explain what it would be doing. A scorpion for example does not imply any particular animation, so I specified that it would be stinging something.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
s_ehrenhaus
in reply to: Hydropulse17

How about a gun?

The Bullets are children of the magazine, which is itself child of the gun object itself.

The slide also is child of the gun and moves back to load the cartidges. So you can set up an animated space switch for when the loading happens, the bullets switch space from magazine via slide to barrel, and then world space when the gun fires a shot.

Do you guys have to make the models yourselves?

Be Happy 🙂
Message 3 of 3
Hydropulse17
in reply to: s_ehrenhaus

That's a great idea! I already decided to make a flag flowing in the wind, where the flag is cut into columns and each column is a child of the one to the left. I like how it turned out. But I'm writing your idea down so I can attempt to tackle it later on, perhaps once I've learned more techniques. Thanks! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report